Question Motherboard wont turn on at all

Apr 13, 2019
Before I begin explaining the issue this is my setup:

CPU: Intel i7-4790K
COOLING: Corsair H50 Watercooling
PSU: Corsair TX750W
RAM: HyperX 8GB ram 1866mhz
MOTHERBOARD: Z97-Pro

This is not a new pc, so it worked in the past, anyways the main issue is I cannot turn on the motherboard even tho the power button flashes red (indicating power is connected), if I let the computer stay untouched for sometime it might boot and then turn off (I noticed this issue started happening after I changed the RAM).

Before REPLYING READ THIS:
I know that my CPU is not the problem I tested it on another motherboard
I know that the power supply is not the problem (I tested with other pc and power supply tester, all good)
I know it is not the RAM (I tried like 6-8 different sticks)
I know it is not the cooling, because of two reasons - 1. I tried other cooler, 2. It doesn't even turn on 90% of the times
I already tried changing the CMOS battery and using JUMPER to clear CMOS.

Please help I tried everything!! Rage, praying and crying. Please don't tell me I have to buy a new motherboard :(

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019
It is kinda weird - hear me out. Let's say I let the computer stay untouched for an hour and then I turn it on, everything works, but then it suddenly it turns off - after it turns off and turn itself on again it shuts down even faster and eventually it doesn't do anything. I hope my explaination makes sense. To answer your question, no in the end nothing spins not even psu.

Apr 13, 2019
No problem. If starting, leave it to run, to see if shutting down.

Hey it is first possible for me to test a new PSU tomorrow, so we will have to wait. Out of curiosity why do you think it is the PSU (when I tested on another PC and also with a power supply tester that said it was fine)?

Apr 13, 2019
It's power related, so I'd say that the first to suspect are power supply, or motherboard. Since spare psu available, let's rule out a power supply related issue.

Alright I had more succes with a new power supply. I get following error code 6A and then it goes to 00 or can only boot into BIOS.

#Edit

I managed to get it to boot into Windows, but then it randomly shuts down sometimes and restarts with error code 00

#Edit

I think it is a hard disk problem I have a SDD 500g and HDD 1tb - I use the SSD for windows system, but I cannot boot windows without the HDD for some reason.
If I discconect the harddisks it has np staying in the BIOS.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019
Does it boot from an USB drive? If yes, try reinstalling Windows, this time only SSD connected.

Hello that was exactly my idea and I specifically have done that and the result is that: so far everything works now! So I will be ordering a new PSU. To sum up the issues were the following: Bad PSU + Faulty Hard drive, not SSD but HDD

Before you leave this thread I have a couple of questions:
1. (Notice: Different issue, cuz I tested without monitor anyway) I noticed that my DisplayPort cable shorted the computer it kept trying rebooting. Is that even possible? I changed the cable everything worked fine.
2. Could you keep watching this thread, new PSU arrives tomorrow and i will test everything again + graphic card, if I have any further issues, please stay posted, that would be appreicated!

Apr 13, 2019
  1. Not sure about the DP cable. It can cause a short, if defective and 3.3V present.
  2. Sure, just post back.

Okay I installed graphic card and new PSU, now the PC shutsdown after 5 seconds. If I remove the RAM it can power on just fine? Not sure whats going on.

#Edit
I tried removing the graphic card, no difference.

The new PSU is Corsair HX1000

Last edited: