[SOLVED] Mounting external SSD internally

dannb1989

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
I have a Toshiba x10 portable SSD that I was using for uni. Now that the course is all done I would like to use it permanently on my desktop pc but I don't want it dangling out of a usb port. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a way to mount it internally to use as storage without removing the ssd from the casing as I already have an ssd installed on the motherboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
example only, not an endorsement, shop around.
https://www.amazon.com/10Pin-Mother...ords=usb+header+adapter&qid=1572222790&sr=8-8
41mm3h7stkL._AC_.jpg

add ports to the internal USB header. conect the drive and secure to the bottom/side/top of the case with quality double sided tape.

Reactions: dannb1989

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Just to clarify, that SSD you mentioned looks like a USB 3.1 SSD yeah?

If so, then the adapter linked is no good since that is USB 2.0

You'll need a USB header adapter that is for 3.0/3.1

While it is stated as USB 2.0 compatible in the specs list, that just means you can use it through 2.0, but the speeds will be significantly slower than the potential of the drive.

Alternatively, if you are certain that you won't need the external drive at all to be external again, then you could break open the enclosure and just plug it directly in like normal.

The SSD within will either be a 2.5" model, or it will be an M.2, and if it's an M.2 you'll need to ensure that you have an M.2 slot on your motherboard.

Judging by the specs with the width being only 49.5mm (which is about 1.9") it might be an M.2 SSD inside the enclosure.

Use a 3.0 header not a 2.0 header if going with the USB cable adapter option.

If you motherboard happens to have a Type C port on the back, you can instead plug a double ended Type C cable into that port, then pop out one of the lower slots for GPU and run the cable into the system, then plug that into the SSD.

dannb1989

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
Just to clarify, that SSD you mentioned looks like a USB 3.1 SSD yeah?

If so, then the adapter linked is no good since that is USB 2.0

You'll need a USB header adapter that is for 3.0/3.1

While it is stated as USB 2.0 compatible in the specs list, that just means you can use it through 2.0, but the speeds will be significantly slower than the potential of the drive.

Alternatively, if you are certain that you won't need the external drive at all to be external again, then you could break open the enclosure and just plug it directly in like normal.

The SSD within will either be a 2.5" model, or it will be an M.2, and if it's an M.2 you'll need to ensure that you have an M.2 slot on your motherboard.

Judging by the specs with the width being only 49.5mm (which is about 1.9") it might be an M.2 SSD inside the enclosure.

Use a 3.0 header not a 2.0 header if going with the USB cable adapter option.

If you motherboard happens to have a Type C port on the back, you can instead plug a double ended Type C cable into that port, then pop out one of the lower slots for GPU and run the cable into the system, then plug that into the SSD.

Hey man,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not super confident in taking the internals out of the case and already have an ssd installed on the motherboard. I have taken into consideration the point you made about the usb 3.0 connection though as I hadn't even considered that before hahaha very valuable info. Thanks again, man. I appreciate it!

popatim

Titan
Reactions: dannb1989
Solution

dannb1989

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010NTIGNU/ref=psdc_464394_t3_B00V3F44JO

This is more in line with what you want but this means giving up your internal usb3 header which may be in use by your front panel.

You could alternately use an extension cable to bring a rear USB3 port to the inside thru a slot cover or water cooling hole
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cable-Male-Female/dp/B014RWAMWC

Awesome! I'll give these ideas a try. I was looking at a similar cable yesterday wondering how it would work. This is great advice. Thanks a lot!