[SOLVED] Mouse and keyboard lock up every couple of minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
I have Windows 10 with the latest updates. My keyboard and mouse lock up and I have to just sit there and wait about 15-20 seconds before all the input "catches up" and I see the mouse and keyboard perform all the stored movements and keystrokes it has to do while in lag state.

I built a $4000 computer. It should not do this at all. I have a WIRED mouse and keyboard.

My Benchmark
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14277732

I've done these things to fix it:
  1. disabled the Scroll Inactive Windows on other windows setting that everyone says should fix it
  2. updated or reinstalled my mouse drivers
  3. changed to a different mouse
  4. disabled Cortana
And a couple of the suggestions found here: https://windowsreport.com/mouse-lag-windows-10/

Really nothing I've tried works. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Do the lockups occur all of the time or just during gaming? Any customized settings or configurations on the keyboard and/or mouse?

Try another known working wired keyboard and mouse on your computer.

Try your wired keyboard and mouse on another known working computer.

Determine if the problem follows the keyboard and mouse or stays with your computer.

Try the above test with first the keyboard, then the mouse, then both.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Using one or the other just observe for awhile. Then do typing and mouse movements that typically cause the lockups.

Good chance that you will spot something else happening at the same time as the lockups - maybe some background app launched at startup is misbehaving, phoning home, trying to update, backup, etc..

Looking at your benchmarks, something is really holding back your CPU and ssds. The first thing I would look at is CPU temperatures, possibly a better cooler. While you haven't advised, I've read an air cooler is not sufficient for your CPU

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
Do the lockups occur all of the time or just during gaming? Any customized settings or configurations on the keyboard and/or mouse?

Try another known working wired keyboard and mouse on your computer.

Try your wired keyboard and mouse on another known working computer.

Determine if the problem follows the keyboard and mouse or stays with your computer.

Try the above test with first the keyboard, then the mouse, then both.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Using one or the other just observe for awhile. Then do typing and mouse movements that typically cause the lockups.

Good chance that you will spot something else happening at the same time as the lockups - maybe some background app launched at startup is misbehaving, phoning home, trying to update, backup, etc..

Lockups occur while doing normal things like browsing the internet. I've switched the mouse so that isn't the issue. The other mouse still had the same issue. I'm using the same keyboard on another computer that is fine (Logitech G810) really nice and expensive). I've tried to examine the task manager, but I don't have it open all the time and cannot switch to it during the locks.

I do know, that music still plays and internet still streams during the lockups.

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
Looking at your benchmarks, something is really holding back your CPU and ssds. The first thing I would look at is CPU temperatures, possibly a better cooler. While you haven't advised, I've read an air cooler is not sufficient for your CPU

I'm using an NZXT Kraken X72 water cooler for my CPU (really nice and expensive) and my CPU temps range from 35C at normal computing and somewhere around 50C at high gaming load.

I'm interested in your suggestions on improving CPU and SSD performance.

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
Lockups occur while doing normal things like browsing the internet. I've switched the mouse so that isn't the issue. The other mouse still had the same issue. I'm using the same keyboard on another computer that is fine (Logitech G810) really nice and expensive). I've tried to examine the task manager, but I don't have it open all the time and cannot switch to it during the locks.

I do know, that music still plays and internet still streams during the lockups.

After watching the task manager, all the values stop changing so that freezes, too.

I'm using an NZXT Kraken X72 water cooler for my CPU (really nice and expensive) and my CPU temps range from 35C at normal computing and somewhere around 50C at high gaming load.

I'm interested in your suggestions on improving CPU and SSD performance.
I am out of my wheelhouse a little here, but the benchmark seems to be identifying your CPU as single core, not 6 core, so there could be an issue with your CPU. Hopefully someone more in the know will chime in on this.. At the very least you may want to re-seat your CPU.

Edit; open the Task Manager and from the Performance tab click Resource Meter (bottom left), on the right of the Resource Meter there should be a meter for each core. See that all are operating properly

Last edited:

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
I am out of my wheelhouse a little here, but the benchmark seems to be identifying your CPU as single core, not 6 core, so there could be an issue with your CPU. Hopefully someone more in the know will chime in on this.. At the very least you may want to re-seat your CPU.

Edit; open the Task Manager and from the Performance tab click Resource Meter (bottom left), on the right of the Resource Meter there should be a meter for each core. See that all are operating properly

The resource meter shows all 12 CPU threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.