[SOLVED] Mouse and keyboard wont work after upgrade - Windows 7

Jan 15, 2019
Hello, I've just now updated my system with a Ryzen 7 2700X and an asus B350-F Mobo.
(I'm still on windows 7)
Then when i boot the computer and go into windows login screen, my mouse and keyboard stops working.
It works just fine until then, I can edit in BIOS, i can access boot options and so on, but the last 1-2 seconds of "Loading Windows" they stop lighting up and sort of lose connection.
I've tried booting in safe mode, updating BIOS, disabling driver signature enforcement, cutting all the power and holding down the power button for both 10 and 30 seconds and a new mouse.
Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, youre my only hope.
For real though, i hope you can help :)
(I also posted this in system. Hope it's okay, since I didn't know exactly to post it.)

Solution
What you describe sounds a lot like Windows is loading the wrong drivers for those devices. You have not told us where they are plugged in, but I'm guessing they are into USB ports. Those may be on the computer (rear ports?) or in a USB external hub.

There's also a MAYBE obscure factor IF you are using an external Hub, so check this first. Many external USB hubs come with a small power brick to provide the power to all the Hub's attached devices. If you have that type and do NOT connect the power supply module, the Hub may not be able to provide enough power to all those items, especially after some things are initiated and start working. So IF your mouse and keyboard are plugged into a USB Hub, check its power supply AND try...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What you describe sounds a lot like Windows is loading the wrong drivers for those devices. You have not told us where they are plugged in, but I'm guessing they are into USB ports. Those may be on the computer (rear ports?) or in a USB external hub.

There's also a MAYBE obscure factor IF you are using an external Hub, so check this first. Many external USB hubs come with a small power brick to provide the power to all the Hub's attached devices. If you have that type and do NOT connect the power supply module, the Hub may not be able to provide enough power to all those items, especially after some things are initiated and start working. So IF your mouse and keyboard are plugged into a USB Hub, check its power supply AND try disconnecting everything except that mouse and keyboard from that Hub. IF that helps, then you know that power is part of the issue. Another variation of this scenario is if your Hub does NOT have an external power supply module (so that its only power source is the host USB2 port) but you do have several items plugged into it that need more power than the host port can provide. That variation is why I suggested disconnecting from such a Hub everything except the mouse and keyboard.

Now, back to more likely things to check. If this really is a matter of faulty device drivers somehow, the problem is going to be how to get at least one of those (the mouse or keyboard) to work. One thing you can try is to get an adapter for at least one (maybe both) that will convert the USB2 end of the cable from the mouse (or keyboard) into an older PS/2 round connector. Then plug that into the PS/2 socket on the back plate of your computer. The sockets for mouse and keyboard are identified separately, so look for the labels. Windows has its own built-in device driver for PS/2 devices that almost always works, and the wiring of PS/2 and USB2 are virtually identical so a very simple adapter with NO active electronics does the job. With at least one of those devices connected that way, you should be able to boot into Windows and get it to work.

A small additional note here for that suggestion. I have a recent design of wheel mouse for which the driver provided ONLY works on a USB2 port. The standard Windows PS/2 device driver for a mouse cannot handle my new mouse, so I cannot actually use an adapter to make that connection. IF you seem to have that problem, go to a used computer parts shop and try to find an old mouse with a PS/2 connector on the end of its cable, or at least an old simple mouse for USB2 plus the adapter I spoke of.

Now, if that works, what to use it for? I am proceeding here assuming that many devices, including your mouse and keyboard, are using UBS2 connections. You may or may not have a USB2 external Hub among those. The process below is intended to wipe out all records of USB2 devices and their drivers, then allow the system to re-discover them and re-load the correct device drivers.

1. Using the mouse that works though PS/2 connection (above), go into Control Panel ... System ... Hardware ... Device Manager. Systematically go through all the USB devices and, for each, right-click on it and Remove that device. Do the same for any listings for the Mouse and Keyboard. Now shut down. This will remove all those devices and their drivers from Windows' configuration files.
2. DISconnect all USB2 devices. Unplug the mouse (and keyboard?) from the PS/2 ports. Start up your system and it may tell you there is no mouse or keyboard to use. Shut down again.
3. Connect your mouse to a back panel USB2 port. Boot up and its presence should be detected and its proper driver installed so it works. If that works, shut down.
4. Connect the keyboard to another back panel USB2 port. Boot up and its presence should be detected and its proper driver installed so it works. If that works, shut down. Now you have both working.
5. IF you do have an external USB2 Hub, now is the time to connect it. Plug it into a USB2 port, ensure its power supply module is connected, boot up, and the system should also load its device driver. If you intend to leave your mouse and keyboard connected to their current back panel ports, skip down to Step 8 below. But IF you have the Hub installed now and IF you want your mouse and keyboard to be plugged into that Hub, go back into Device Manager and again Remove both the Mouse and Keyboard. Shut down. DISconnect the Mouse and Keyboard from those back panel USB2 ports.
6. Plug the mouse into the Hub and boot up. Again the Mouse should be detected and its driver loaded so it works. But now the system has lost any record that a Mouse might be on a back panel USB2 port, and instead knows that it IS connected to that Hub.
7. Shut down and repeat that process for the Keyboard plugged into the Hub. At this point you should have the external Hub, your Mouse and your Keyboard connected and working.
8. Now, one item at a time, connect your USB devices to whatever USB port you want, boot up so it is detected and its driver loaded, verify it is working, then shut down. Keep up this sequence until all USB devices are connected and working again.

This step-by-step process will force Windows to forget everything it "knows" about USB2 devices, then detect each one individually and load its proper device driver, noting its actual connection port in the system. Usually that will get them all working. IF you know that there is a particular device driver required for one of the USB devices, make sure you load that driver (not just whatever Windows can find) for it before proceeding to the next device.

Solution