[SOLVED] Mouse freezes and lags while everything else runs perfectly

Feb 15, 2020
I have recently uncovered a new very annoying problem. Whenever I use my mouse it tends to freeze up and actually requires me to lift up the mouse and place it back down on my mouse pad to continue working. I obviously thought it must be the mouses fault, so I switched with another mouse in my house that works perfectly on the other PC however still the same problem on mine. I recently just finished some upgrades to my hardware and did a new boot of windows so I think it may be a driver issue or something. My PC is more than capable of just about every besides heavy gaming and runs very good, so please don't give me any suggestions that try and close things in the background to speed it up. Thanks. The mouse is a m510 from logitech and is on one of the unifying recievers with my keyboard if that helps.

Solution
Okay, once you try the USB extender and the other port, maybe try updating your drivers.

If your ports are all giving the same issue, it could mean a driver issue, corrupt files ( I doubt it ), or your motherboard ports are going faulty.

To update drivers, go to Device Manager, find the mouse, double click it, click drivers and click update driver.
Okay, once you try the USB extender and the other port, maybe try updating your drivers.

If your ports are all giving the same issue, it could mean a driver issue, corrupt files ( I doubt it ), or your motherboard ports are going faulty.

To update drivers, go to Device Manager, find the mouse, double click it, click drivers and click update driver.

Solution

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I have a M510 mouse and wireless keyboard on my desktop Windows 10 machine. For way too long, I've been dealing with horrible mouse lag, skipping, stuttering, lack of smooth scrolling, etc. etc. I've tried the myriad of generic "fixes" all over the internet; e.g: try a different USB port for the receiver, roll back the driver, change this setting, change that setting. All futile. The mouse performance was so bad, it was nearly unusable.

I finally threw-in the towel and bought a wired mouse. Hallelujah! It works PERFECTLY. I really wish I could have found a solution for the wireless mouse but it wasn't in the cards. The difference in usability between the wireless mouse and wired mouse is like the difference between driving a 1970 Nova with a straight 6 vs. a C8.