Mouse Lag and Frametime Skyrockets with Specific Applications on Windows 10

FolkMold

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I'm on Windows 10 and whenever I open the Pushbullet for Windows application, my frametime skyrockets. Sometimes MSI Afterburner will measure a constant 500-600ms frametime. Then after some fiddling, this will stop and I will get anywhere between 1000-6000ms frametime whenever my mouse cursor passes over a clickable part of the UI. For the next few seconds my mouse spazzes out and skips all over the place. If I don't mouse over any buttons, nothing happens and the software works fine - that is, when I don't actually use it. Pushbullet also has to be the active window, so if it is in the background, and I mouse over it nothing happens. Mousing over the minimize/maximize/close buttons at the top right, or the file/edit/view/help toolbar does not cause these problems, only the buttons actually within the application itself.

Whenever I open YNAB 4, I get the same problem: everything works fine up until I mouse over a clickable part of the UI (where the cursor goes from the default pointer to the finger) and then I get skyrocketing frametimes, often in the thousands, and a skipping mouse. With Pushbullet, I've been dealing with it because I'm only in the program for less than 10 seconds and I don't use it very often but I've recently discovered that i simply cannot use YNAB on this computer at all due to this issue.

Apart from a small jump in power usage, frametime is the only metric I've been able to find that changes during these issues. My max frametime when testing this is 308,702ms. FPS is being measured 10-15fps during the stuttering, but I'm not sure how MSI Afterburner measures fps with regular software that aren't games. When I'm on my desktop, or on Chrome, for example, Afterburner registers an fps of 0, and when I have Pushbullet or YNAB open and active, and so long as I do not mouse over any buttons, Afterburner registers with 0 fps. But as soon as I go to touch a button fps around 10fps and frametime upwards of 1000ms with crazy mouse lag/skipping.

I think I'm also noticing a very fast flicker to the entire application as well, which lasts for the few seconds that the frametime spikes and mouse skips, and then returns to normal.

I also have a Laptop running Windows 10 and it does not have the same issues.

Does anybody have insight into what may be causing this?

FolkMold

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
In case anyone else has this issue in the future, I fixed it by limiting NVIDIA's G-SYNC variable refresh technology to full screen applications only. I had it running on both full-screen and windowed applications. You can change this option in the NVIDIA Control Panel