[SOLVED] Mouse rgb static

Bradfishh

Prominent
Nov 26, 2019
I've never seen anything quite like it but my model O mouse lights up for a second whenever I generate static somewhere in the room(it is always plugged into my PC on my desk).

I'll plug in my headphones into a laptop that the mouse isn't even plugged into and on battery power. Or I generate static on my bed and my mouse lights up across the room. Im not sure what could be going on or even if it matters, it's just annoying and triggers my ocd. Hopefully someone can give some insight.

Solution
Which Model O mouse: wired, wireless? (You mentioned "plugged into my PC" so wired is the likely connection via a USB Port.) What else, if anything is plugged into any adjacent PC USB ports?

Laptop, headphones - make, model, connectivity? USB or 1/8"(3.5mm) jack?

When a static charge builds up, the electrons will find a path to escape to ground (earth) and flow accordingly. If that flow path goes through the mouse in some manner then the mouse LED's could light up.

And you are able to constantly and regularly create a static discharge and cause the mouse LED's to light up - correct?

Sketch out a diagram of your room showing all wires (power, audio, network, video, surge protectors, etc.) connecting your devices.

Key is to...

Ralston18

Titan
Which Model O mouse: wired, wireless? (You mentioned "plugged into my PC" so wired is the likely connection via a USB Port.) What else, if anything is plugged into any adjacent PC USB ports?

When a static charge builds up, the electrons will find a path to escape to ground (earth) and flow accordingly. If that flow path goes through the mouse in some manner then the mouse LED's could light up.

And you are able to constantly and regularly create a static discharge and cause the mouse LED's to light up - correct?

Sketch out a diagram of your room showing all wires (power, audio, network, video, surge protectors, etc.) connecting your devices.

Key is to discover how the electrons are getting to the mouse. If that cannot be determined then something else is happening.

Solution

Bradfishh

Prominent
Nov 26, 2019

Key is to discover how the electrons are getting to the mouse. If that cannot be determined then something else is happening.

It's a wired model O mouse plugged into the PC via USB. There is also an rgb ducky mechanical keyboard plugged in via USB but I have never seen a similar problem with that. I also plug and unplug headphones (3.5mm) when needed next to the power button on the front of the case where my peripherals are plugged into the back. (Plugging in the headphones often causes the mouse rgb to light up as well.)

Yes, I am able to constantly recreate the static. Whether that's generating static on my bed, plugging in my headphones OR even plugging things in on outlets across the room. Also if I discharge my finger on the little screw on the light switch.

Maybe it's a really sensitive mouse?

https://ibb.co/jhvDNVP

Its a quick sketch of the room I'm not very good with diagrams, everything on the desk connected to one surge protector which is then connected to the wall outlet:

(PC, power supply, two monitors connected to gpu via displayport, USB rgb keyboard, USB Model O wired mouse, wifi antenna, headphones)

(Eero mesh wifi node also on desk connected to surge protector)

Nothing plugged in any other outlet. I could probably spend time on a really detailed sketch but I'm hoping this issue isn't too crazy in need of an analysis. All I can imagine is it travels through the power outlets but it's weird because when I plug in my headphones into my laptop which I put on the desk, the mouse lights up. (the laptop is on battery power so no connections) can electrons travel through the desk or something?

Ralston18

Titan
Diagram is fine - thanks.

Question:

"when I plug in my headphones into my laptop which I put on the desk, the mouse lights up. "

So you unplug the headphones from the PC and then, in turn, plug the headphones into the laptop and that is when the desktop/Model O wired mouse lights up - correct?

Does that happen if, for example, the keyboard is disconnected beforehand?

What if you use another set of headphones?

On laptop and desktop: disable all power savers, etc..

What is the desk surface made of?

Overall, I am thinking that you are carrying a static charge. When you unplug the headphones the charge dissipates through the desktop PC and causes the mouse to wake up.

However, if you are grounding yourself via a light switch beforehand then that thought becomes quite a stretch. Try grounding yourself elsewhere.

Lastly, but not finally, do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

Keep working to narrow down a single path of events where just one specific action (TBD) causes the model O mouse to light up.

Bradfishh

Prominent
Nov 26, 2019
Diagram is fine - thanks.

Question:

"when I plug in my headphones into my laptop which I put on the desk, the mouse lights up. "

So you unplug the headphones from the PC and then, in turn, plug the headphones into the laptop and that is when the desktop/Model O wired mouse lights up - correct?

Does that happen if, for example, the keyboard is disconnected beforehand?

What if you use another set of headphones?

On laptop and desktop: disable all power savers, etc..

What is the desk surface made of?

Overall, I am thinking that you are carrying a static charge. When you unplug the headphones the charge dissipates through the desktop PC and causes the mouse to wake up.

However, if you are grounding yourself via a light switch beforehand then that thought becomes quite a stretch. Try grounding yourself elsewhere.

Lastly, but not finally, do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

Keep working to narrow down a single path of events where just one specific action (TBD) causes the model O mouse to light up.

Yes, I unplug the headphones from the PC and plug them into the laptop and as I'm plugging into the laptop the mouse lights up. I've tried different USB ports for the mouse and things disconnected, as well as different headphones and it's the same.

I also forgot to mention, the desk top is like one big mousepad. I just realized maybe that could cause more static or something maybe?

There is alot to this, I also better mention, in the summer I had a window ac unit and whenever I would turn it on the mouse would light up, same with an air purifier unit. These plugged into a different outlet not near the desk.

I do not have a multimeter or know someone that does. But I may just buy and learn to use one in the near future as it's a very useful tool I've seen. All I can think is just a sensitive mouse if that's even possible, reacting to different electrical differences. I know very little about electricity and that kind of stuff though.

Ralston18

Titan
Check any sleep or power saving modes.

Could be that headphones, (or any headphones for that matter) being connected or disconnected wake up a potentially sleeping mouse and the mouse flashes accordingly.

Does using any other headphones result in the same behavior?

Bradfishh

Prominent
Nov 26, 2019
Check any sleep or power saving modes.

Could be that headphones, (or any headphones for that matter) being connected or disconnected wake up a potentially sleeping mouse and the mouse flashes accordingly.

Does using any other headphones result in the same behavior?
I will try that, looking through settings. thanks for the help running through everything. Yes I have tried another set of headphones that produces the same results.
My PC is always off when the mouse flashes, would power or sleep settings affect it even when powered off?

Ralston18

Titan
Re:

"My PC is always off when the mouse flashes, would power or sleep settings affect it even when powered off?"

I would expect not; however, if there is some sort of electrical short or perhaps a mismatched plug or socket then who knows what could be happening.

The problem is centered around headphones 3.5mm plugs - correct? Any adapters, splitters, or extension cables in use?

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Take a close look at the TR, TRS, TRRS configuration of the plugs & sockets being used.

Bradfishh

Prominent
Nov 26, 2019
Re:

"My PC is always off when the mouse flashes, would power or sleep settings affect it even when powered off?"

I would expect not; however, if there is some sort of electrical short or perhaps a mismatched plug or socket then who knows what could be happening.

The problem is centered around headphones 3.5mm plugs - correct? Any adapters, splitters, or extension cables in use?

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Take a close look at the TR, TRS, TRRS configuration of the plugs & sockets being used.
No adapters, just regular old gaming headphones meant for PC use. I'll take a closer look at the sockets and headphone jacks. Since the problem sometimes also happens just by plugging another device in a socket in the room, maybe it's some sort of grounding issue or something like that.