Moving Alienware X51 (R2) into new case

carsonclark2009

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
Hello, my buddy would like me to help him move his Alienware X51 R2 into a new case. I know that he'll need a new PSU but I'm not sure what the deal is with the motherboard. To my knowledge, the X51 has a mini ITX motherboard so it should work in This case right? I was also a little worried about the lack of I/O shield.. that shouldn't be an issue it just means a little more exposed correct? Lastly would an EVGA 970 fit inside the aforementioned case?

Thanks for all your help.

Solution

It should work fine assuming the motherboard has regular standoff spacing. I'd look for a case where the power supply sits on the bottom, not the top. Unless you don't care how clean it looks when it comes to all the cables.

For mini ITX, you'll be...

It should work fine assuming the motherboard has regular standoff spacing. I'd look for a case where the power supply sits on the bottom, not the top. Unless you don't care how clean it looks when it comes to all the cables.

For mini ITX, you'll be using these four standoff's. Match it up with the motherboard and you'll be fine.

fg8ltVP.png

Solution

carsonclark2009

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

Immensely helpful, thanks for your response.