[SOLVED] Moving the BOOT partition(HDD) to SSD (with existing OS partition)

Mar 2, 2020
Is there a way to move the boot partition from HDD to SSD(NVME) while the OS partition is already on the SSD partition without loosing any data and reinstalling w10?
When I was installing w10 on SSD, the installer created boot partition on HDD which I didn't unplugged before the installation.I would like to avoid formatting SSD with OS partition and reistalling the w10 (and all the soft) in order to place booting partition on the same SSD as OS is located.

Solution
Execute from elevated command prompt:
(if you get any errors, then stop immediately)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
list partition
select partition 1
(select 465GB partition)​
shrink desired=500
create partition primary
active
format fs=ntfs quick
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s H:
How to open elevated command prompt:

After this is done, reboot your pc, go into BIOS and set SSD as first in boot order. Newly created partition...
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
list partition
select partition 1
shrink desired=500
create partition primary
active
format fs=ntfs quick
assign letter=H
exit

After this is done, reboot your pc, go into BIOS and set SSD as first in boot order. Newly created partition will now have description "System" in Disk Management.

Reactions: Marekondor
Solution
Mar 2, 2020
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
list partition
select partition 1
shrink desired=500
create partition primary
active
format fs=ntfs quick
assign letter=H
exit

After this is done, reboot your pc, go into BIOS and set SSD as first in boot order. Newly created partition will now have description "System" in Disk Management.
Thanks a lot. Going to unplug the HDD to see if the system boots.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
There are apps that can put that image of the HD onto SSD for boot up by SSD. Samsung Migration does it. Also Im sure other SSD vendors have some app and if they don't just search for one and you will find one. 💯😲🤷‍♀️

Mar 2, 2020
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
list partition
select partition 1
shrink desired=500
create partition primary
active
format fs=ntfs quick
assign letter=H
exit

Sep 6, 2020
Sorry to hijack the thread but I had the same exact issue and I followed the directions above to the letter. I did receive an error when I tried to do the command: bcdboot c:\windows /s H: and the error I received was "Failure when attempting to copy boot files"

I did restart and went into Bios and changed disks, but received errors about inability to find windows. Finally played around in bios and got into windows and then took a look at Disk Manager and I do now have an H: partition on Disk 3 (C: Drive) but it is not marked as a System partition. Also there is still a System Reserved Partition on Disk 0 that I cannot delete, reformat, etc. and the remaining Unallocated partition I cannot change the type of volume it is, cant convert Disk 0 to a GPT disk, etc.

View: https://imgur.com/2krs1dh

I did receive an error when I tried to do the command: bcdboot c:\windows /s H: and the error I received was "Failure when attempting to copy boot files"
The command has to be executed from elevated command prompt. From regular command prompt you'll get error.

And why do you have your disks converted to dynamic?
Convert them back to basic (conversion requires the drive to be unallocated).