Jul 6, 2020
I work from home and need a low-latency internet connection. (hope i am using the correct terminology). My job requires me to log in to my companies network and ssh to a number of remote servers. I tried connecting many many moons ago via satellite connection but for every keystroke, i had to wait a couple of seconds before i saw the character show up on my terminal window. I guess my first question is has latency changed much on satellites in say the last 10 years? If so anyone with experience with this have a recommendation on which provider to look at or will they all be the same as it pertains to latency? This may be silly, but if I had a low latency VERY LOW bandwidth connection and a high-latency high bandwidth connection at the same time, is there a way to combine these and get the best of both worlds? TIA. Chuck

Solution
Depends how far out you actually are. Most areas have 4g cell coverage that has ok latency. It will even work for games if you have enough signal and he tower is not real busy.

Many areas if there are enough houses around are served by WISP. Hard to say how good they will be but the latency is many times better that satellite.\

Wait a year and we should know if musk crazy dream of thousands of low orbit satellites actually works and if it is sold for a price people can actually afford.
Depends how far out you actually are. Most areas have 4g cell coverage that has ok latency. It will even work for games if you have enough signal and he tower is not real busy.

Many areas if there are enough houses around are served by WISP. Hard to say how good they will be but the latency is many times better that satellite.\

Wait a year and we should know if musk crazy dream of thousands of low orbit satellites actually works and if it is sold for a price people can actually afford.

Reactions: b0g3yman
Solution
Jul 6, 2020
It's out there a ways. My cell reception has historically been weak out there but my father just recently purchased some sort of cell signal booster. Not for sure if it boosts 4g. May need to just try it again. Thanks for your response.