Mozilla: Firefox Now Deactivating Most Plug-Ins by Default

Status
Not open for further replies.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Just two things:
1: Only the last few versions of Flash will not be blocked, older and more insecure (Flash is never secure) versions will also need to be clicked.
2: Plugins are less useful nowadays, but still not useless: DRM protected content cannot be distributed or served one the net with the alternatives.

And here is a link for the aforementioned add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/click-to-play-per-element/

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Ha! That last post just earned me a Tom's "Night Owl" badge and it's the middle of the day here. Doesn't Tom's detect each users local time?

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Been using Flashblock and NoScript for a long time, so won't change anything for me. (Before you cry redundancy, NoScript misses some things, which is what Flashblock is for)

There is nothing more annoying then when software thinks it knows best for the users.
I don't agree with these tactics because plugins are still necessary for many types of media.

Luckily it is probably possible to get around this crap with about:config

Hopefully there will be an option to leave plugin's on by default. I have things customized the way I like them to be in Firefox. I don't want them to start messing everything up. The plugins I don't use or want have already been disabled. They also need to add an option to uninstall plugins you don't want rather than just disabling them.

Though it would be much worse if they expanded this to add-ons.

hammer85

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
This new flash policy of "enable-by-site" rather than by page SUCKS!
Just imagine having 10 YouTube tabs open with each playing it's video.

Thank God for the addon...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/click-to-play-per-element/

Flash with firefox doesn't give my any problems. Firefox did have a problem with crashing sometime between version 3.x - version 15 but they finally stomped that bug out.

Status
Not open for further replies.