MS Office Student & Teacher Ed. 2003

Hello & Good Evening:

I hope someone here in the group can help. My sister installed Microsoft
Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 Trial on her Windows XP Home Edition
computer [this is a new computer, only a few months old]. Understand that
my sister is not very computer literate when it comes to installing
programs.

The program was installed a little over 30 days ago [within the
registration period], so she cannot use System Restore to go back to an
earlier date. Now she cannot open any of her documents created in MS Works
that was preinstalled on her computer. All of her documents, presentations,
spreadsheets will not open. She continuously receives the message that her
trial period is over [for the MS Office S&T Ed 2003].

We have tried Add/Remove Programs, but there is no listing for the program
by the same name in which to remove. There are a few programs listed, but
no information on size, how often it is used, etc. How can I help her? She
is frazzled & frustrated and is on a deadline for a project at work. Thank
You for any and all Assistance or suggestions in rectifying this situation.

Deidre Sellers

Install it again and it should notice and offer to uninstall. Reinstall works or Help - Detect and Repair.

And the band played ....
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/14/1084289883713.html
"ZephyrPrincess" <unicornprincess_98@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:%23ykhbaGPEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hello & Good Evening:
>
> I hope someone here in the group can help. My sister installed Microsoft
> Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 Trial on her Windows XP Home Edition
> computer [this is a new computer, only a few months old]. Understand that
> my sister is not very computer literate when it comes to installing
> programs.
>
> The program was installed a little over 30 days ago [within the
> registration period], so she cannot use System Restore to go back to an
> earlier date. Now she cannot open any of her documents created in MS Works
> that was preinstalled on her computer. All of her documents, presentations,
> spreadsheets will not open. She continuously receives the message that her
> trial period is over [for the MS Office S&T Ed 2003].
>
> We have tried Add/Remove Programs, but there is no listing for the program
> by the same name in which to remove. There are a few programs listed, but
> no information on size, how often it is used, etc. How can I help her? She
> is frazzled & frustrated and is on a deadline for a project at work. Thank
> You for any and all Assistance or suggestions in rectifying this situation.
>
> Deidre Sellers

"ZephyrPrincess" <unicornprincess_98@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hello & Good Evening:
>
> I hope someone here in the group can help. My sister installed
Microsoft
> Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 Trial on her Windows XP Home
Edition
> computer [this is a new computer, only a few months old]. Understand that
> my sister is not very computer literate when it comes to installing
> programs.
>
> The program was installed a little over 30 days ago [within the
> registration period], so she cannot use System Restore to go back to an
> earlier date. Now she cannot open any of her documents created in MS
Works
> that was preinstalled on her computer. All of her documents,
presentations,
> spreadsheets will not open. She continuously receives the message that
her
> trial period is over [for the MS Office S&T Ed 2003].
>
> We have tried Add/Remove Programs, but there is no listing for the
program
> by the same name in which to remove. There are a few programs listed, but
> no information on size, how often it is used, etc. How can I help her?
She
> is frazzled & frustrated and is on a deadline for a project at work.
Thank
> You for any and all Assistance or suggestions in rectifying this
situation.

> Deidre Sellers

In addition to David's advice, ask your sister if she ever activated Office.
There is no trail period for Microsoft Office 2003 Standard for Students and
Teachers 2003, but there is a use limit prior to activation.

In Control Panel the listing should be Microsoft Office Standard Edition
2003.

Microsoft Office 2003 Standard cannot open all files created with Microsoft
Works. For those it can open {such as *.wps}, she must install optional
converts. After she gets Office repaired, go back to Control Panel,
Add/Remove Components and select Microsoft Office entry and click on Change.
In the first change window, select Add/Remove Features. In the second
change window check the box to customized applications. Then go to the
converters section and select the Works converts to run from my computer.

Don

On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:07:28 -0400, Don MI <> wrote:

> "ZephyrPrincess" <unicornprincess_98@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Hello & Good Evening:
>>
>> I hope someone here in the group can help. My sister installed
> Microsoft
>> Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 Trial on her Windows XP Home
> Edition
>> computer [this is a new computer, only a few months old]. Understand that
>> my sister is not very computer literate when it comes to installing
>> programs.
>>
>> The program was installed a little over 30 days ago [within the
>> registration period], so she cannot use System Restore to go back to an
>> earlier date. Now she cannot open any of her documents created in MS
> Works
>> that was preinstalled on her computer. All of her documents,
> presentations,
>> spreadsheets will not open. She continuously receives the message that
> her
>> trial period is over [for the MS Office S&T Ed 2003].
>>
>> We have tried Add/Remove Programs, but there is no listing for the
> program
>> by the same name in which to remove. There are a few programs listed, but
>> no information on size, how often it is used, etc. How can I help her?
> She
>> is frazzled & frustrated and is on a deadline for a project at work.
> Thank
>> You for any and all Assistance or suggestions in rectifying this
> situation.
>>
>> Deidre Sellers
>>

> In addition to David's advice, ask your sister if she ever activated Office.
> There is no trail period for Microsoft Office 2003 Standard for Students and
> Teachers 2003, but there is a use limit prior to activation.
>
> In Control Panel the listing should be Microsoft Office Standard Edition
> 2003.
>
> Microsoft Office 2003 Standard cannot open all files created with Microsoft
> Works. For those it can open {such as *.wps}, she must install optional
> converts. After she gets Office repaired, go back to Control Panel,
> Add/Remove Components and select Microsoft Office entry and click on Change.
> In the first change window, select Add/Remove Features. In the second
> change window check the box to customized applications. Then go to the
> converters section and select the Works converts to run from my computer.
>
> Don

Sony may be wording it wrong but this is what they show as one of their
software options: Microsoft® Works 7.0 with Office 2003 Student Teacher
Trial

This URL goes to a "Customize this unit" page and shows the various system
(http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=AWAassD-NNEan4BUs0IQuY_ur_CMZpsbVHU=?CategoryName=cpu_RS500C&ProductSKU=S04SP1DT&Dept=cpu)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

> Sony may be wording it wrong but this is what they show as one of their
> software options: Microsoft® Works 7.0 with Office 2003 Student Teacher
> Trial
>
> This URL goes to a "Customize this unit" page and shows the various system

(http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Di
splayProductInformation-Start;sid=AWAassD-NNEan4BUs0IQuY_ur_CMZpsbVHU=?Categ
oryName=cpu_RS500C&ProductSKU=S04SP1DT&Dept=cpu)

> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Sorry Sharon, I was not aware of the promotional offer. Suspect her OEM has
some way of purchasing the trial program.

Don

On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:17:55 -0400, Don MI <> wrote:

> Sorry Sharon, I was not aware of the promotional offer. Suspect her OEM has
> some way of purchasing the trial program.

No problem, Don. I wouldn't have been aware of the offering either if I
hadn't been browsing the Sony site last week.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi David:

Thank you for responding. I apologize for not responding sooner... been
having computer problems. I appreciate your responding to my question.
Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.