MSFT: Games for Windows LIVE Had Rocky Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Ugh, any system where I have to buy points externally and use those to pick up software makes me so frustrated.

Of course microsoft can't just interface with steam, no they have to reinvent the damned wheel and make a crappy service nobody wants to use but have to because they throw a massive amount of money at developers.

It pisses me off and goes against every idea of what personal computing should be.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I highly doubt that Microsoft will ever be able to compete with the steam service. They would have to pull off some kind of miracle and then I still don't see it. There only possible hope would be to copy it exactly or just buy them outright.

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Didn't microsoft charge for Gfw originally like xbox live gold? Why would pc gamers spend money when there are free, superior alternatives out there?

It would be nice if there was cross platform pc/xbox gaming. I know the pc gamers are always better and have an advantage but absolutely none of my friends are pc gamers. They all have xboxs.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]No sh*t sherlock. It doesn't help that half the people that use the service think it's terrible.[/citation]
what does help is that they forcibly shove gfwl down our throats with some games that are distributed on STEAM.

smh

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
if i can pirate a game, and it has the live experience ripped out of it, what do you think i will do?

i may buy it, but that game disc will never touch my pc. i despise LIVE, xbox and windows, but i accept that there is nothing i can do but not support it in any way shape or form.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]cletus_slackjawd[/nom]I highly doubt that Microsoft will ever be able to compete with the steam service. They would have to pull off some kind of miracle and then I still don't see it. There only possible hope would be to copy it exactly or just buy them outright.[/citation]
Microsoft does have a pretty big collective ass from which to pull stuff out of.

Hopefully nothing successful comes out, because personally I like buying the permission to play a game for as long as I like, whenever I like, and without any additional fees or recurring subscription costs. :)

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Games for Windows LIVE will get better according to Microsoft.
Pretty obvious statement to make, considering GFWL can't possibly get any worse. Perhaps they should concentrate on making it actually work... THEN put it in games.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Try releasing something newer than Gears of War and people may think it is cool.....

Personally, Games for Windows ruined Halo 2 on my computer...it does not run properly on any of my Windows 7 systems.....Gears of War 2 works fine....wish I could say what GoW 2 or 3 looked like on a PC :( Would have also loved to see Halo 3...ODST...Reach....MS shit on the PC gaming community and did not even try to apologize

If they are interested in Gfw it is for one reason, they still think they can make money off it. They do not give 2 shits about the user experience except for making it easy to insert credit card information

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]It had a rocky start because the only thing it was good at was doubling the time to actually start playing a game, thanks to the required login.[/citation]
Hahaha. True, and makes it dependent on other than your hardware.
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]if i can pirate a game, and it has the live experience ripped out of it, what do you think i will do?i may buy it, but that game disc will never touch my pc. i despise LIVE, xbox and windows, but i accept that there is nothing i can do but not support it in any way shape or form.[/citation]
Well said. Thank you.

Also,
[citation][nom][/nom]"The service started with the right intent, which was to bring Achievements, friends, multiplayer gaming and matchmaking in a really great way to PC,"[/citation]
I read here tapping into the addictive properties of this system so artificially inflate the perception of entertainment instead of making some game people actually look forward to play and forget the rest.
Try making GFWL optional and see how many actually opt in. Their justification might be building a friends base, so you have other people to compare with and get addicted more. I will go for the least trouble version, the least dependencies, and the least information of mine getting out via a service that is not the game itself.
By version I mean between pirated game without GFWL or even skipping the game altogether.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Games for Windows = fail
they ignored the pc community and went straight for console support. Which made them a ton of money but they lost ground (big time) to Steam. I have no reason to leave steam, great service, great games and very, very great sales.
Now if MS would make a true cross platform game and really promoted it like they did with Halo (and it is not a cheap port) and required a Win Live account...then perhaps they can start 'stealing' customers away from other services.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
"The service started with the right intent, which was to bring Achievements, friends, multiplayer gaming and matchmaking in a really great way to PC," he said.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a sh*t about achievements, ranking, and the rest of that crap? This is the same reason I haven't bought Starcraft II yet. They want to force you to use Battle.Net to make sure your ranking is fair (and if you cheat, they ban you). Personally, I don't give a damn about how well I play the game compared to a bunch of Nerds who have nothing better to do than play video games all day long. I didn't even care when I was in college and WAS one of those nerds.

I use steam because all my games (or most anyway) are in one place, and they move automatically with my account. No scrounging for CD keys and whatnot. As for the pointless achievements that come with most Steam games, I really don't care. Just make the game enjoyable and easy to load-up and play.

And on that topic, whatever happened to GameSpy and other similar services? Wasn't the whole point of those services (in the late 90's early 2000's) to create the very types of communities that GFWL, Battle.Net (and to some extent, Steam) are now re-creating?

jlefebre6001

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Am I the only one who doesn't give a sh*t about achievements, ranking, and the rest of that crap? This is the same reason I haven't bought Starcraft II yet. They want to force you to use Battle.Net to make sure your ranking is fair (and if you cheat, they ban you). Personally, I don't give a damn about how well I play the game compared to a bunch of Nerds who have nothing better to do than play video games all day long. I didn't even care when I was in college and WAS one of those nerds.I use steam because all my games (or most anyway) are in one place, and they move automatically with my account. No scrounging for CD keys and whatnot. As for the pointless achievements that come with most Steam games, I really don't care. Just make the game enjoyable and easy to load-up and play.And on that topic, whatever happened to GameSpy and other similar services? Wasn't the whole point of those services (in the late 90's early 2000's) to create the very types of communities that GFWL, Battle.Net (and to some extent, Steam) are now re-creating?[/citation]

If you don't give a shit about rankings and achievements then don't login. play in offline mode. i think you're just nerd raging because you think if you hack you'll get caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.