Question MSI 970a-g46 usb tethering randomly disconnecting ?

Jan 17, 2022
Why is my MSI 970a-g46 disconnecting my phone when I use WiFi ?

Every phone I connect and share the wifi to my pc, it disconnects randomly even with different cable.

I have everything up to date and bios is at his latest.

I also have SSD issues it freezes randomly...

Windows 10/11 have the same issue and I'm currently using windows 10.

No one can help, it's been a problem here for years now...

Does a bios from a new board work on my board?

<<Edited for content by moderator>>

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022
I have done the basic stuff like:

• Windows settings (network reset etc...)
  • cmd
  • Regedit
  • New windows install
  • Uninstall drivers /update drivers
  • Change phone/cable
  • Disconnect the keyboard mouse and everything else
  • Change cpu
  • Check cables/ change port
  • Contact Microsoft/MSI/GeForce support (no one could find a fix)
  • Downloaded phone drivers.
  • Changed power plan.
  • Updated bios and downgraded to supported CPU (same issue same performance in fps).
  • Removed a stick of Ram.
  • No dust on the pc everything is clean nothing is burned or broken.
  • Changed ssd to hhd and changed to a new ssd.

(none of those ideas worked)

The only fix is to limit my wifi usage with an older device that doesn't go up 20MB upload witch is not normal at all.

If you have an idea on how i can fix this issue that would save me 100$ for a new board.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Does connecting to a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port make a difference? I am starting to wonder if there is a heat and/or power issue with this older motherboard and the electrical draw of the phone (it was also be charging while connected to the PC).

How many, total, USB devices do you have connected to this PC?

Jan 17, 2022
Does connecting to a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port make a difference? I am starting to wonder if there is a heat and/or power issue with this older motherboard and the electrical draw of the phone (it was also be charging while connected to the PC).

No difference
The phones goes to 100% all time.

Jan 17, 2022
How many, total, USB devices do you have connected to this PC?

Keyboard/mouse/microphone/phone
4 USB connected 1 audio jack (this is not the problem audio works well)

Corsair k55 (up to date) (no drivers for mouse/microphone)
Samsung s8 (up to date)

2ssd 1hdd

KINGSTON SA400S37240G ATA device 200 GB
SPCC SOLID STATE DISK ATA device 100 GB
Hitachi HTS545025B9A300 ATA device 200GB

Gigabite Geforce gtx 1050ti 4gb
AMD FX-8300 8 cores (am3+)
2x4 gb ram ddr3 CORSAIR VENGENCE
MSI 970A-G46 2.0 AM3+

500 w Be Quiet BQ L8 (80 PLUS BRONZE) power supply

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have asked the other moderators and some senior members if they have any ideas. Seems to me that the phone is pulling too much power from the PC causing the failure to occur. I have seen similar issues with older systems when too many USB devices were attached. That should not be the case in your situation.

Jan 17, 2022
I have asked the other moderators and senior members if they have any ideas. Seems to me that the phone is pulling too much power from the PC causing the failure to occur. I have seen similar issues with older systems when too many USB devices were attached. That should not be the case in your situation.

It's not the phone, i have also tried a USB stick where i shared mobile data into it and it disconnected and i have also used lan cable and it also disconnected we are talking about the motherboard, not the devices connected to it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It's not the phone, i have also tried a USB stick where i shared mobile data into it and it disconnected and i have also used lan cable and it also disconnected we are talking about the motherboard, not the devices connected to it.
That is more information that provided earlier. So, this system has a history of problems with multiple USB devices and even the on-board ethernet adapter.

Correct?

Jan 17, 2022
That is more information that provided earlier. So, this system has a history of problems with multiple USB devices and even the on-board ethernet adapter.

Correct?
Correct
If you are talking about a wifi card/ adapter i never tested one and i think that it will disconnect too.

Jan 17, 2022
No. I meant the ethernet port (on-board adapter) built into the motherboard.

Are you overclocking anything on this PC (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Starting to look very much like a defective motherboard.

No, I never overclocked the CPU or anything else.

And I said "correct" the board disconnects me from the wifi on a heavy upload.

Any other questions you want to ask?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you examined the motherboard for any signs of damage (scorch marks, bulging capacitors, etc)?

Does this system perform correctly in all other uses except as discussed in this thread?

Nothing else is coming to mind. Given the age of this system, the only solution may be to replace the motherboard.

Jan 17, 2022
Have you examined the motherboard for any signs of damage (scorch marks, bulging capacitors, etc)?

Does this system perform correctly in all other uses except as discussed in this thread?

Nothing else is coming to mind. Given the age of this system, the only solution may be to replace the motherboard.

Nothing is broken or damaged (burned)
While playing video games the pc performs well with no bugs or frame drops.

Explain to me why older devices work fine on the machine then?
There is a bug with newer devices and i have to find out why it's doing this when everything is perfect.

The board could maybe not be compatible with windows 10 i have to try to downgrade the machine.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The system should certainly be compatible with Win 10. I don't see an issue there. I also don't see any compatibility issues with any of the devices you mentioned.

In trying to isolate the problem, you try to determine anything common to cause an issue. In your situation, it is things connected to your motherboard. As it has been running for some time, I think it is NOT a grounding issue.

The one common denominator is the motherboard.