Question MSI afterburner randomly setting power limit to ~55% on my 2070S

Nov 4, 2022
It was the windows update before last that caused this.

As the title says, MSI afterburner keeps resetting my power limit, even when locked.

I noticed this a few days ago when some games were crashing due to insufficient memory, checked afterburner, and set the limit to 100. Kept resetting.
I then hopped onto discord and my friend said he could barley hear me. Checked my microphone output on windows; It was set to the same volume limit as my GPU was limited in power. Few days later I decided to check my PC power setting and discovered it was set to about 60% as well.

Anyways, I reset my PC power to 100% and thought everything would be fine. It isn't. afterburner still is resetting my power limit.

Any help would be great.

p.s. There have been no noticable dips in performance.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Something tells me your OS might be corrupt if your volume and the GPU's power slider might be tethered. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling MSI Afterburner with a latter revision?

Yeah I have tried. If it is my OS, I haven't noticed anything strange other than what I mentioned. I've had OS corruptions before but never anything like this.

Nov 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Something tells me your OS might be corrupt if your volume and the GPU's power slider might be tethered. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling MSI Afterburner with a latter revision?

An update to this. I've noticed my PC has been shutting off when it gets put under high load so I went to change some [redacted language] on afterburner. Turns out, it's been locking my clocks at 1605/6801 with voltage at 804. Could not change it; Idle, under load, nothing would work with AB open. Downloaded HWinfo to make sure my GPU wasn't just dying and it read as all normal. AB has been doing some weird [redacted language].

TRENDING THREADS