[SOLVED] MSI B250i can’t change the colour of LED strip lights

cjhmason

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017
Hi,

I recently purchased these LED Strip Lights

I have an MSI B250i gaming pro ac mother board.

The LED's light up with a red colour when the PC is on. I would like to change the colour of these.

I have installed the 'Gaming App' from MSI which is the tool for changing the LED colour.

Unfortunately in the 'Gaming App' tool, the LED colour section is greyed out.

MSI-gaming-app-LED-colour-grayed-out.png

I can change the LED effect style (making it flash or glow and dim), but cant change the colour.

I have updated the BIOS for my mother board to the latest version .17, this has not allowed the colour change to be active. I am running the 'Gaming App' as the admin account on my PC, this doesn't let me change the colour.

In the manual is the detail given regarding the led strip.

BAFBE01B-2E4E-40F5-B93F-7E52D29E2030.png

This specification seems to match with the specification of the LED I purchased.

I was wondering anyone else has experienced this issue?

here’s my PC spec for reference.
PCPartPicker Part List

If anyone has any info on this that would be great.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The LED strip should be plugged into the mobo JLED1 header. See your mobo manaul p. 7 for location (top edge), and p. 15 for details. I suspect you have done this already. I know the manual says to use the Gaming App to control the lights. I have not heard of that. On most of their current mobos, MSI uses a utility called Mystic Light. Ask MSI Tech Support which app to use for your exact mobo.

cjhmason

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017
The LED strip should be plugged into the mobo JLED1 header. See your mobo manaul p. 7 for location (top edge), and p. 15 for details. I suspect you have done this already. I know the manual says to use the Gaming App to control the lights. I have not heard of that. On most of their current mobos, MSI uses a utility called Mystic Light. Ask MSI Tech Support which app to use for your exact mobo.
Hi, Yes I can confirm that the LED connector is plugged into the correct 4 PIN header at the top of the board.

Yes I was unsure about mystic light because the manual say specifically about using 'Gaming App'. I will try Mystic light.

I will also contact MSI directly. Thanks

cjhmason

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017
Hi, so I installed mystic light, but when I ran it, a window popped up to say the application was not compatible with my system.

hopefully MSI will come back to my enquiry.

cjhmason

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017
Update.

So after going through the research and forum process to no avail, I contacted MSI directly who informed me that the LED strip the MSI B250i Gaming Pro AC motherboard is compatible with is not RGB at all.

I have no purchased a 12v white LED strip (had to do a bit of soldering to add the connectors) and have now got the colour I wanted in my PC. With a spare RGB strip which I will probably use for some other project in the future.

Hopefully this information is helpful for other people.