[SOLVED] msi b450 tomahawk max wont enter bios but straight to windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2022
hi everyone
my msi b450 tomahawk max just got back from service center, since the warranty on the 3rd year, so i just got a free service not a full rma
but i tried build outside the case and everything plugged like the it's should be, after i try to jumper the front panel it boot, no ez debug led turn on
the monitor still cant detect anything but suddenly it's boot to windows directly, no windows loading screen no bios splash just direct to lockscreen windows

what i've tried
- rest the bios
-remove the cmos battery
-try boot without drive

nothing helps, and if i spam del key it wont boot like it wont going to bios mode
my specs
msi b450 tomahawk max
ryzen 5 3600
deepcool gamaxx 400 v2
corsair vengence 3000mhz 2x8gb
reddragon rx 580 8gb
fsp aurum 600w 80 gold

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows 10?
open power menu
while holding left shift, click restart button
this restarts windows in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI firmware interface
this should restart PC and put you in BIOS

another option is its showing the bios on a different display out, so try swapping to Display Port if you use HDMI, or visa versa

Jun 4, 2022
windows 10?
open power menu
while holding left shift, click restart button
this restarts windows in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI firmware interface
this should restart PC and put you in BIOS

another option is its showing the bios on a different display out, so try swapping to Display Port if you use HDMI, or visa versa
already tried but its just blank, can it be my gpu faulty ? since i find motherboard beep speaker it's soud 1 long beep and 2 short beep, but when it boot to windows, everythings works fine, i dont got any stuttering when gaming, i dont losing any fps, but its seem my gpu wont boot to uefi, i need the bios since i need to fresh install since i this windows since i use i5 3570k last year

Colif

Win 11 Master
it's soud 1 long beep and 2 short beep,

1 long 2 short - Monitor or display card error
https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/bios-beep-codes

If you go into the blue menu I showed before, there is a choice on 1st page called use device
if you put USB with installer into PC and choose that option, it should have USB as a choice.
click it, PC will restart and reinstall windows. No need for bios.

Jun 4, 2022
1 long 2 short - Monitor or display card error
https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/bios-beep-codes

If you go into the blue menu I showed before, there is a choice on 1st page called use device
if you put USB with installer into PC and choose that option, it should have USB as a choice.
click it, PC will restart and reinstall windows. No need for bios.
yeah, 1 long 2 short is gpu error, but i when it boot to windows, i can play games normally like it used to

Jun 4, 2022
It looks like there is a fault with windows basic display adapter software which is a part of the windows installation. It is what is used for bios and safe mode.
Clean windows install should fix it.
but how ? i cant even enter the bios ? i have flash drive with windows 10 and 11, what should i install ? and how ?

Jun 4, 2022
By the way have you contacted MSI about the BIOS issue? Strange it happens after coming from service.
By the way have you contacted MSI about the BIOS issue? Strange it happens after coming from service.
i have, they said it has been check couple times and works fine, and they said it strange too that they never facing this too, but they said i should tried other gpu

Jun 21, 2022
I have exactly the same problem after going through the last 7C02v3E bios
Do not turn on the screen until the windows load.
Yesterday I set msconfig to restart in safe mode without loading drivers and the result was to have a black screen in windows as well.
Then I borrowed a laptop, restarted it in safe mode and then I saw what keys I press just to change the msconfig menu to normal boot so I can have an image again in windows. So it happened. If someone presses del at the start of the computer in our case I think it enters the bios but there is no image.
Another problem is that I can not use flashback to put the previous bios.
Instead of loading the bios from the usb stick, the computer opens after a while with the fans at 100% and the LEDs of the motherboard open and I need to close it from the power supply and make clear cmos to start normally. But the black screen remains until windows loads.
I have tried everything and I can not solve these problems.
I wrote in the msi forum and someone replied that the graphics card I have is very old (Hd 6970) and is not compatible with uefi and that's why it might be.
I have ordered a 3060 ti and I am waiting to see if they will send it to me to try with it if the problem is solved.
If not I will send the motherboard to the store where I bought it along with a processor ryzen 5 3600 and memories so that they can check what is wrong and if the motherboard has an issue they can change it.
msi b450 tomahawk max
ryzen 5 3600
Noctua
corsair vengeance lpx 2x8gb 3200mhz
sapphire hd 6970 dual fan 2gb
corsair ax850 modular

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022
I have exactly the same problem after going through the last 7C02v3E bios
Do not turn on the screen until the windows load.
Yesterday I set msconfig to restart in safe mode without loading drivers and the result was to have a black screen in windows as well.
Then I borrowed a laptop, restarted it in safe mode and then I saw what keys I press just to change the msconfig menu to normal boot so I can have an image again in windows. So it happened. If someone presses del at the start of the computer in our case I think it enters the bios but there is no image.
Another problem is that I can not use flashback to put the previous bios.
Instead of loading the bios from the usb stick, the computer opens after a while with the fans at 100% and the LEDs of the motherboard open and I need to close it from the power supply and make clear cmos to start normally. But the black screen remains until windows loads.
I have tried everything and I can not solve these problems.
I wrote in the msi forum and someone replied that the graphics card I have is very old (Hd 6970) and is not compatible with uefi and that's why it might be.
I have ordered a 3060 ti and I am waiting to see if they will send it to me to try with it if the problem is solved.
If not I will send the motherboard to the store where I bought it along with a processor ryzen 5 3600 and memories so that they can check what is wrong and if the motherboard has an issue they can change it.
msi b450 tomahawk max
ryzen 5 3600
Noctua
corsair vengeance lpx 2x8gb 3200mhz
sapphire hd 6970 dual fan 2gb
corsair ax850 modular
yeah man, this is 100% accurate
if you got the 3060ti please update here, if the gpu is the problem, i have to save for new gpu

Jun 21, 2022
Yes I saw what graphics card it has and that it is compatible with uefi so the problem is in the Msi bios. Enables some default options that create a theme on the graphics card. When they load windows they solve this issue by the drivers. That's why when I enter safe mode without loading the drivers this problem remains.
So the only option left is to release a firmware fix and I hope I can choose from the msi center to program it. Otherwise I have no way. The only other option is to return the motherboard to the store where I bought it. Tomorrow I will inform them and see what they will tell me.

Jun 4, 2022
The RX580 is modern enough that uefi support should not be the issue but if you are both on the same BIOS version and it is causing this then the fault is with MSI
yeaah i thought its definetly bios/firmware related, i do really wanna downgrade my bios but im scared

Yes I saw what graphics card it has and that it is compatible with uefi so the problem is in the Msi bios. Enables some default options that create a theme on the graphics card. When they load windows they solve this issue by the drivers. That's why when I enter safe mode without loading the drivers this problem remains.
So the only option left is to release a firmware fix and I hope I can choose from the msi center to program it. Otherwise I have no way. The only other option is to return the motherboard to the store where I bought it. Tomorrow I will inform them and see what they will tell me.
yeaah, when its boot to windows its fine because the card driver read that the card its fine and work prefectly, so maybe the only way is bios downgrade,

Jun 4, 2022
The RX580 is modern enough that uefi support should not be the issue but if you are both on the same BIOS version and it is causing this then the fault is with MSI

thanks a lot guys for the help, i think my bios is kinda broken or corrupted, lucky my reddragon rx580 4gb has dual bios and to change it is very easy because it has a bios switch, after i switch, it's working like a charm, this got me a headache to think like why i cant go to bios when it can enter windows normally hahahah

Jun 21, 2022
thanks a lot guys for the help, i think my bios is kinda broken or corrupted, lucky my reddragon rx580 4gb has dual bios and to change it is very easy because it has a bios switch, after i switch, it's working like a charm, this got me a headache to think like why i cant go to bios when it can enter windows normally hahahah
And my own graphics card has dual bios I tried and put it in the second but again the result is the same. The problem has not been fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.