Question MSI B550M 5900x undervolt ?

May 7, 2023
CPU Cooler: 240mm Coolermaster v2 AIO

Is there anything that i can do to make my 5900x cooler on lets say idle and a little cooler in gaming? Cooling isn't the problem as i'm getting like 70c-75c on like playing demanding games for hours on end, which makes my room hot.

I went from a 3600x to a 5900x, the cooler i bought brand new just for this CPU, i know its not the best but it gets the job done.

I tried eco mode but it didn't really help that much, maybe lower by a couple

I did update the Chipset Drivers.

I also tried -21 on all cores, which was unstable, i'm quite new to this and never thought of undervolting

Should i try Curve Optimizer on Ryzen Master? Disabling PBO etc, any advice on the 5900x's would be appreciated.

Solution
Temps in 70's is actually pretty good if running a decently heavy multi-core process. Something to keep in mind is the CPU algorithm is temperature driven: it will tend to drive towards Tjmax as a limiter if it can under maximum load conditions, which is 90C for your CPU. AMD has said it's designed this way and safe but who wants it to run that hot even if it is: that's why you get a nice big air cooler or 360mm AIO.

Definitely also enable PBO with curve optimizer and optimize it for each core individually. There are plenty of YouTubes to watch on how it's done. If you don't run additional boost clock it's not "overclocking" but finding an optimal under-volt for each core that works with the boost algorithm (instead of against it like...

Lutfij

Titan
Is this the AIO that your'e working with:
?

Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard? What sort of voltages do you see when the platform is under load and when idling? Make and model of the case?

This might be a worthwhile read.

May 7, 2023
Is this the AIO that your'e working with:
?

Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard? What sort of voltages do you see when the platform is under load and when idling? Make and model of the case?

This might be a worthwhile read.
Correct thats the cooler.

its a MSI B550 M A-Pro
Latest Bios version (Updated the bios since i was upgrading from a 3600x to 5900x)
stock voltages which can go to 1.5v under load
idle: 1.1v

I haven't fiddled with any of the voltages, its all on default.

Anything that i do on the pc, the 5900x likes to boost up high as hell, raising the temps up for that process until its done and back down again after its finished.

CPU Cooler: 240mm Coolermaster v2 AIO

Is there anything that i can do to make my 5900x cooler on lets say idle and a little cooler in gaming? Cooling isn't the problem as i'm getting like 70c-75c on like playing demanding games for hours on end, which makes my room hot.

I went from a 3600x to a 5900x, the cooler i bought brand new just for this CPU, i know its not the best but it gets the job done.

I tried eco mode but it didn't really help that much, maybe lower by a couple

I did update the Chipset Drivers.

I also tried -21 on all cores, which was unstable, i'm quite new to this and never thought of undervolting

Should i try Curve Optimizer on Ryzen Master? Disabling PBO etc, any advice on the 5900x's would be appreciated.
Temps in 70s under load of most performance CPUs are practically standard nowadays but that doesn't translate into exhaust air temperature nor amount of heat. I measured air temperature after 360 AIO cooler under full and prolonged full load of my CPU which was 82c and it was just 2-3c above ambient, room temp, scarcely enough to notice even in small room. Surely not enough to sacrifice performance for.

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler
Temps in 70's is actually pretty good if running a decently heavy multi-core process. Something to keep in mind is the CPU algorithm is temperature driven: it will tend to drive towards Tjmax as a limiter if it can under maximum load conditions, which is 90C for your CPU. AMD has said it's designed this way and safe but who wants it to run that hot even if it is: that's why you get a nice big air cooler or 360mm AIO.

Definitely also enable PBO with curve optimizer and optimize it for each core individually. There are plenty of YouTubes to watch on how it's done. If you don't run additional boost clock it's not "overclocking" but finding an optimal under-volt for each core that works with the boost algorithm (instead of against it like simply lowering the core voltage setting does) can improve performance since it can use higher clocks even at lower temperature.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
Solution