[SOLVED] MSI GE72 6rf screen off and no response from bio or os after GPU problems.

Dec 31, 2022
Approximately two weeks ago my MSI laptop had been giving me a multitude of issues. This began with the GPU suddenly disappearing from the device manager and making it impossible to use a second display, it would randomly restore itself after some time of use, After this issue had begun I had installed the newest game ready drivers through GeForce experience. About 3 days after this, with the problem persisting, the computer went into a loop of the windows recovery environment all of the options failing to do anything, wiping and reinstalling windows or otherwise. after this when turning on the laptop there is no response whatsoever, the screen is completely off and the keyboard backlight is force on, which I had always had off up until now. No attempts to get into the bios or any other function menus before windows starts had works. I have opened the laptop and cleaned and re-seated all user serviceable components, the SSD HDD RAM and optical drive. I have also started turning on the computer with all drives disconnected to the same response. I had disconnected and reconnected the CMOS battery as well with no response. I've exhausted everything to my knowledge and am hoping there is some option I missed to get any amount of responsiveness out of the laptop to further trouble shoot. Thank you.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Seems to me like the motherboard for your laptop has conked out. Either that or there's a short(or an electrical component)on the motherboard(that's failed and) preventing the laptop from firing up. It might even be that the GPU on the motherboard might be the culprit afterall. Can you hook up an external monitor? Perhaps you can still get display off the iGPU. If that doesn't work then it could be the motherboard entirely.

You could also try and use an eraser to wipe the gold contacts on the ram sticks, then remove any dirt debris and then reseat into the ram slot on the motherboard. If that does revive the build, then it's possible you have a grounding issue.

Noticing the tags on your thread, you're...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Seems to me like the motherboard for your laptop has conked out. Either that or there's a short(or an electrical component)on the motherboard(that's failed and) preventing the laptop from firing up. It might even be that the GPU on the motherboard might be the culprit afterall. Can you hook up an external monitor? Perhaps you can still get display off the iGPU. If that doesn't work then it could be the motherboard entirely.

You could also try and use an eraser to wipe the gold contacts on the ram sticks, then remove any dirt debris and then reseat into the ram slot on the motherboard. If that does revive the build, then it's possible you have a grounding issue.

Noticing the tags on your thread, you're well outside the warranty for your laptop.

Solution