Question MSI GT75 - Wont Boot Past Logo & Can't Enter BIOS

Feb 22, 2020
I'm having an issue. I apologize about the long message, but I'm including a history leading up to the big problem. So I have an MSI GT75 laptop and I had installed a new 2TB SSD that I'd purchased in early December 2019. Then soon after, I noticed that my computer's screen would not wake from sleep mode. I didn't know if it was related to the SSD install, since it had never done this before...so I contacted support at HIDEVOLUTION where I bought it and Zoltan said I should disable sleep. I asked him if there was any way to fix this, because I love the sleep function and he said there might be a driver update, but that it would just eventually start happening again when the system searched for new deivers...that it was also probably unrelated to the new SSD install and that it's a pretty common problem. Also, he mentioned that I was pretty lucky to have my laptop for almost 2 years without seeing the issue happen before then, because it's supposedly such a common issue.

So I was upset, but I decided that I would sacrifice my sleep function if that would fix everything and I disabled it, along with hibernation mode. I went on using my laptop and shortly after, it started to do this thing at startup where it would boot the MSI logo...then the logo would go away like it normally does when transitioning to Windows to enter your password - only the screen would then just stay backlit-black. It wouldn't respond to any button commands either, except to do a hard reboot by pushing and holding the power button.

By doing this, it restarted and the MSI logo came...went...and then Windows started up regularly and I thought it was all over. Only to find it happened again and then randomly started to do this every so often. Id say...maybe every 7-10 healthy bootups it would freeze after the MSI logo at the black backlit transition screen and I started to worry that maybe that was indeed related to the new SSD install...since it had never happened before and especially since I'd also recentlt experienced the issue with the laptop not waking up after sleeping, leading up to this.

So I contacted Zoltan and he said it was probably unrelated to the SSD, but that I'd have to take the SSD out to see if there were any changes. (Process of elimination). I did not want to do that, as it was my first SSD install and I'd never taken one out before...I just wanted to keep out of there, figured it was safest and wanted to give it a little more time to see if the problem would persist or not before taking what seemed to a newbie as a "big step" to go back in and remove the SSD...

So I did not remove it, I continued to use the laptop for a few weeks and continued to deal with the sometimes frozen screen after the MSI logo at startup. Up until last night, it could always be fixed with a hard reboot by pressing and holding power and luckilly I did not have to do it often. Until last night...I was going to play a game on Steam and it needed to install...it started to automatically install on my old 500g SSD that was already about 80% or so full and I didn't want that - I wanted it on the new 2TB SSD I'd just installed, so I instantly paused the download on Steam and went to PC settings to confirm the storage level on the fuller older 500g SSD. (It's worth mentioning that the new 2TB SSD did work after install).

When I went to PC settings, I noticed the bar indicating storage space for my 500g SSD was red (I assume beccause it was getting close to full) and I went to right-click the drive so I could go to properties and got an error message. Unfortunately I do not remember what exactly it said, but it was short and wouldn't let me access the 500g SSD. I thought maybe I should restart the laptop. I closed all programs and shut down the computer normally. Then upon reboot - it went to the MSI logo and froze at the black transition screen again.

I rolled my eyes and thought: "God, here we go again" and went to hard restart it by pressing and holding the power button, expecting it to boot up normal the next time, like it'd been doing every so often over the past few weeks. Only this time, (for the first time), when I hard restarted it - it did the same exact thing...it froze after the MSI logo again, on the black backlit transition screen you see after the MSI logo and right before Windows normally boots. And now it will not stop doing that at all. If I leave the laptop alone after startup on the frozen screen - it will hang there for about 10 seconds and then try to reboot itself, but keeps getting hung up again and freezing right after the MSI logo every time now.

Now, I am no computer expert on any level...so I do not know if all this is somehow related to the recent new SSD install at all, or if something possibly happened while trying to install that game last night, or if there's something wrong with my old 500g SSD (the one that wouldn't let me access it before I rebooted and got the freezing problem). I also cannot get into BIOS as another forum suggested to try to do. I tried repeatedly hitting "delete" at power up...nothing, then "F2"...nothing. I can't get anything else to happen, but the bootup and resulting freeze after the MSI logo and then having to hit power to force-shut it off. Please help me!

P.s. my Windows 10 operating system is installed on the 500g SSD. If my SSD was somehow toast...wouldn't I not have been able to continue to use my PC to go to "PC settings" to check the storage, where I then found the SSD inaccessible when right-clicking on it? Wouldn't my system just have shut off instead of letting me close programs and shut down normally?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020
If you remove both drives from the system, and then try to get into the BIOS, are you able to?

Hi, thanks for your response - I have not removed any drives. Are you suggesting I should remove all drives and then try to power up and see if BIOS works?

-If so, I have my windows OS installed on the 500g SSD...will taking it out damage it or my system in any way? I asssumed drives would need to be uninstalled before removal? (Which if so, I can't do, since I can't get into windows to uninstall).

One last thing - I do have 1 other drive. It is a 2TB HDD. So I have 3 drives in total:
  1. 500g SSD with windows OS installed
  2. 2TB SSD
  3. 2TB HDD

(And if the HDD needs to be removed, I'm not familiar with that process...I'm only familiar with installing and removing the SSDs).

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
There's no software uninstall process for the drives. If they're in the system, the system will try to boot Windows from them. If they're not in the system, the system won't try. It's not a problem to remove a drive and then later put it back in and tell the PC to boot from it again, the PC doesn't care the drive had a 'holiday' from being inside it :)

If you remove the drives and still have the same issue, you've ruled out the drives as being the cause.

If you were fine to install an SSD, you'll be fine to remove an HDD. It depends on the design of your laptop but it may be held in by a few (4) screws, or screwed into a small bracket. You'll remove any screws holding it or its bracket in place, then just slide it off the sata connectors it will be plugged into.

Reactions: LapOnMyTop
Feb 22, 2020
There's no software uninstall process for the drives. If they're in the system, the system will try to boot Windows from them. If they're not in the system, the system won't try. It's not a problem to remove a drive and then later put it back in and tell the PC to boot from it again, the PC doesn't care the drive had a 'holiday' from being inside it :)

If you remove the drives and still have the same issue, you've ruled out the drives as being the cause.

If you were fine to install an SSD, you'll be fine to remove an HDD. It depends on the design of your laptop but it may be held in by a few (4) screws, or screwed into a small bracket. You'll remove any screws holding it or its bracket in place, then just slide it off the sata connectors it will be plugged into.

Okay, thank you for the clarification. I will look up the official process to remove my HDD, then see what happens when the other 2 -SSDs are also removed and I boot up, then update!

Feb 22, 2020

So, I tried to lookup how to remove the HDD in this model and I can't find any info...I don't know where it is, otherwise I'd probably be able to recognize the screws holding it down.

However, I removed the 2 -SSDs (The 2TB of which was the inaccessible one before shutdown), I then rebooted and saw no change at all.