HennieP

Honorable
Oct 13, 2015
Good day,

My MSI Pulse GL66 laptop isn't starting up anymore. I have changed the processor voltage offset by -70 and it worked perfectly and fine.
I then read that the ring/cache offset should also be changed to the same value. I restarted my laptop and changed this as well within the bios, however, since then it doesn't start up anymore, the power button only flickers orange and white.

I didn't want to open the laptop by removing screws as it might void warranty or break factory seal. So all I have tried so far was to:
-Turn off laptop
-Remove AC adaptor
-tried clearing CMOS by inserting a pin on the backside
-couldn't turn laptop on again, unless I plugged in AC adapter.
-plugged it in and turned it on
-same problem persists, black screen with orange and white light going on and off.

Any recommendations? Or help to what I can do

Solution
from what you described the pin hole on the back of the laptop is a battery reset, which is why it would not turn on with just the battery. You then have to plug the AC adapter in and boot into windows and run the MSI battery calibration software.

You might have to open the laptop and pull the cmos battery to fully reset the bios.
from what you described the pin hole on the back of the laptop is a battery reset, which is why it would not turn on with just the battery. You then have to plug the AC adapter in and boot into windows and run the MSI battery calibration software.

You might have to open the laptop and pull the cmos battery to fully reset the bios.

Solution

HennieP

Honorable
Oct 13, 2015
I have opened the laptop, removed the battery etc.
Restarted everything, then held the power button for 1 minute, that has worked and resetted everything back to defaults.
Thanks for help

HennieP

Honorable
Oct 13, 2015
Hi, i have the same problem and the same computer as you. I tired the same thing as you do to fix this problem and i have no results.

Hi nicolasabosch,

I have opened my laptop backside, removed the battery, and my ram, carefully without hurting anything. If you look on the back panel of your laptop, there is a hole where you can insert a pin to reset the CMOS. And then, I also additionally pressed on this spot with a steel pin while holding power button a few seconds, while it was opened. I had a friend hold my laptop for my while I press it.

In the end, the goal is to reset your bios completely. Pressing down on the pin on the back side didnt work for me, so unfortunately I had to break the warranty seal and open it up.