Question MSI Motherboard / component issues - Not posted - Red light CPU - Help welcome!

MachoFantastico

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Hello all,

First of all, here is a rough guide to my system:
Windows 10
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi motherboard
Nvidia GTX 1070
2x8GB (16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CMK16GX42B3200C16 Ram.
Ryzen 3600 CPU.

I need some help, basically this past week I had something strange happen. Whilst playing a game my computer started to act weird. The sound cut out in the game and I couldn't seem to get back to windows upon pressing the windows key. Eventually, it BSOD warning about something related to memory. It's been hot here in the UK so I thought it was simply down to overheating or something. Gave it a few hours to cool down and tried to restart my computer but it wouldn't post at all. I checked the motherboard and noticed I got a red light on the CPU warning lights. Now to be frank with you, I've had my fair share of problems with the MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi so I've got used to trying to figure out niggling issues with it. I tried reseating components but it still would just start up without displaying anything on the screen or going through its usual checklist. It just stays on the CPU warning light.

So I decided to take the motherboard out of the case and give it a good look over. Took the Ryzen 3600 out and gave it a quick clean as that was an issue once for me and reseated it with new thermal paste, etc. But still, the CPU light comes on and doesn't go past this. Now one other issue I've had with this board has been with the RAM slots which have been very temperamental so tried reseating them. But again same CPU light and nothing more. Tried one stick, the same thing, tried different slots, the same thing. Attempted to try with and without the GPU but that doesn't seem to do anything. Interestingly when I take out all the RAM and run the motherboard it skips the CPU light and the RAM light shows up which I'm guessing is because I don't have any RAM in the motherboard.

So I wondered if my RAM is broken, so had it replaced. When I got the new sticks I tried them but it's the exact same thing so I'm at a loss. I replaced my PSU a few months back which solved some issues I had and it's been working perfectly for months now, but suddenly the board, CPU or RAM is causing me trouble and I just can't seem to get it to post at all or display anything. I'm hoping to get a B550 motherboard from a friend around Friday to see if it is the board as it's been a pain in the ass compared to my old Intel board but I'd still love to hear any suggestions you might have. Sorry this post is so long.

Appreciate any help.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Issue is either: CPU, MoBo, RAM or GPU.

Now, you've replaced RAM, so RAM can be excluded.

Since you have AMD build, without iGPU in the CPU, you can't rule out GPU. So, if you can, try with 2nd, known to work GPU.

CPUs (and APUs) are very reliable and i doubt that it died. But it still is possibility.

Out of the 4, MoBo is the most likely culprit, since MoBos have highest chance of dying (GPU would be 2nd and PSU, namely cheap one, would be 3rd, if very cheap PSU, then it would be 1st). And since you've already had issues with MoBo, i think that MoBo is the one that died on you. So, wait until you get a replacement and try with new MoBo.

MachoFantastico

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Issue is either: CPU, MoBo, RAM or GPU.

Now, you've replaced RAM, so RAM can be excluded.

Since you have AMD build, without iGPU in the CPU, you can't rule out GPU. So, if you can, try with 2nd, known to work GPU.

CPUs (and APUs) are very reliable and i doubt that it died. But it still is possibility.

Out of the 4, MoBo is the most likely culprit, since MoBos have highest chance of dying (GPU would be 2nd and PSU, namely cheap one, would be 3rd, if very cheap PSU, then it would be 1st). And since you've already had issues with MoBo, i think that MoBo is the one that died on you. So, wait until you get a replacement and try with new MoBo.

Yeah, I suspect the motherboard is the issue but I can't be 100 percent sure. Like I said I've had a lot of issues with this X570 board since purchasing it and have already had one replaced before, sadly the date as past where I can just get a replacement. I don't have a second GPU or CPU to try on the motherboard either so that's not an option right now for me.