lordtristan28

Reputable
Feb 4, 2018
Hello,

I'll try to make it a short story but it might not be.

I recently just finally upgraded to a new ryzen platform after being on an am3 based system for years. I was so excited to get everything. I even ordered a new case to go with it.

Pc specs are
Cpu: ryzen 7 5800x.
Mobo: msi mpg x570s carbon max.
Psu: Corsair rm850x.
Ram: 32gb of trident z neo.
Lian li fans and noctua nh-12U cpu cooler.
And 2 nvme drives.

I installed everything into my fractal meshify c, newegg said the case was back ordered and so I put the new system into my old case so when Monday came around, windows was installed drivers downloaded. Everything, so I could just swap cases.

Today (monday) came around and my case arrived. I carefully moved everything into the new case. Lian li lancool 2 mesh.

I decided to repaste the cpu well i was at it just to make sure I got it right the first time.

I moved everything over and did a bunch of cable management and made sure everything was plugged in.

I booted it up and it lit up. All the fans spinning, lights on, gpu led lights on. Everything seemed to go as planned.

I got a post code "code 99"

I looked in the manual and it said "super io initialization"

I said "oh well, maybe the motherboard just has to kind of think about whats going on, I didn't remove anything but the memory. So maybe the motherboard has to configure everything. (It took the motherboard about 5 minutes the first boot to do this)

After about 10 minutes nothing happened, I looked it up and followed all the steps. Here's what i did.

Unplugged every single power cord going to the mobo and gpu and from psu, and reinstalled them all. Unplugged and replaced the GPU.

Reseated both memory modules, and even cleaned and reseated the cpu with fresh thermal paste, cleared cmos with the button on the back and then used the jumpers as well.

Make sure all USB devices were disconnected and only power was connected.

Then, I thought maybe the bios needed to update for some reason, the pc was working fine before I switched cases but you never know with these things.

So I did that, pc started up, bios reset. Shut off and then came back on. Code 99.

I have a ezled debugg light and it's red on CPU.

But that doesn't make any sense? How could 1 case swap cause either my board or my cpu to just. Fail? I was careful. Everything built on a wooden table. No static. Nothing. I didn't touch the pcb of the motherboard when installed. I used the vrm heatsinks and backplate off the cpu. Making sure I didn't force anything.

Anyone have any insight? I have 24 days to RMA either the mobo or the cpu. I don't want to do any of this. I've heard the horror stories of newegg. It's my fault yes from buying from them. But they were the only place in canada to carry the parts I needed. I searched everywhere.

EDIT: Everything was working completely fine before case swap. PSU is almost brand new. 4-5 months of use and was bought new. Orginal cables used.

CPU pins are all straight. CPU socket all straight and cleaned. No dust or anything. CPU reinstalled twice, still code 99 and no display out.

Keyboard and mouse do not light up. But RGB mouse pad does.

Thanks.

Solution
First thing is to try removing the cmos battery for a couple of minutes, after unplugging from wall socket, then replace it and try start up. Did you install the motherboard offset in the new case? I would inspect the both sides of the motherboard CAREFULLY for any scrathces that may have occured in the move. Also pay attention to cpu area for any thermal paste that might have snuck its way on to the board.
First thing is to try removing the cmos battery for a couple of minutes, after unplugging from wall socket, then replace it and try start up. Did you install the motherboard offset in the new case? I would inspect the both sides of the motherboard CAREFULLY for any scrathces that may have occured in the move. Also pay attention to cpu area for any thermal paste that might have snuck its way on to the board.

Solution