[SOLVED] MSI RTX 2070 Armor OC Coil Whine

Mar 3, 2020
Hello. Almost a week ago I built a new pc featuring a msi 2070 armor (factory oc edition). I noticed that I have been experiencing coil whine whenever I'm hitting high frames. I'm not too concerned about the whining when it comes to 300 fps in csgo for example, but I'm also getting it even when I'm just sitting on the desktop. Even moving the mouse around produces an audible whine which really annoys me because when I actually need to get work done on this machine it's just distracting. I was wondering if this was a normal thing that happens with most gpu's or if I just got unlucky with mine. I'm also wondering if I should go through the RMA process or straight up return the card if necessary. Any help or input would be much appreciated:)

Solution
There are a few causes of coil whine:
-Drivers. Run Display Driver Uninstaller to completely remove the current driver and then install the latest recommended from Nvidia.
-Power supply. Perhaps your particular unit is supplying some 'dirty power' to the gpu.
-Gpu. The VRMs, or power delivery on the card is either poorly designed, or defective.

Some manufacturers don't honor coil whine for returns. Doesn't hurt to try though.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Drivers. Run Display Driver Uninstaller to completely remove the current driver and then install the latest recommended from Nvidia.
-Power supply. Perhaps your particular unit is supplying some 'dirty power' to the gpu.
-Gpu. The VRMs, or power delivery on the card is either poorly designed, or defective.

Some manufacturers don't honor coil whine for returns. Doesn't hurt to try though.

Solution
Mar 3, 2020

Thanks for the quick response. I'm planning on returning my evga 600 gold psu because of a subtitle but audible buzzing noise coming from it. It may be nothing at all but I dont want to take any chances on a psu. I guess we'll see if this will change the cold whine although I doubt it will. I understand that coil whine isn't "normal", but it certainly isn't uncommon right?. I mean does it sound like a relatively common issue to have coil whine when your framerates are 144+?