Multifunction Printer/Network question

goochman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Im ready to move on from my Canon 850i printer to a multifunction so I can clear some desk space (fax/scanner).

I have a Printer Hub to use my 850i as a network printer (wired) on my LAN.

Im looking for a Multifunction printer that can do the following:

1. Connect to a network either through a wire or wireless and allow full capabilities (print/scan/fax). I havent been able to confirm is any of the network MFP's do this.

2. Have good photo printing and scanning. Fax/Copy isnt as important

3. Scanner must be flatbed since I scan some book stuff every now and then.

4. Printer must use indiviual ink tanks - Canon has me hooked on this and am frequently running out of 1 color more than others - hate to pay for the whole thing...........

5. Must have card slots and photo printing w/o PC (most do this)

Ive look at the HP 7420 (something like that) - has most features above except no individual ink tanks. It appears user feedback on the scanning part is below average from other sites.

I looked at the Canon MFP - 760, 780, 800 - Nice features but no networking. SCanning capability seems good in these.

Lexmark didnt seem to have anything in the sub $500 range in MFP except a B&W model

Epson didnt seem to have anything in the mid-range market to compete with HP and Canon.

So,
Im starting to believe there isnt anything out there quite what I want unless someone here can enlighten me. Ive been out of the printer market for awhile and its hard to get a good idea on what these things are really good at.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

goochman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I was starting to get that feeling the the MFP's dont scan very well.

Does anyone know if the scanning/fax stuff works through the network connection - or does this only work for printing and the USB connection is required for scanning to PC?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I would chose a MF with a B&W lasers engine. HP make a nice networked MF unit with a laser engine. They make them both ways, ink or laser. The big problem is that they require 2 way comunications to work properly. I replace a Photo Printer with a laser this year, Don't miss the color. My operation cost shows I will have the printer paid for in less than a year due to the lower cost/page. I run thrugh 500 sheets/mo on a average. $0.012 vs $0.18 is a no brainer.

Setup 2 Printers, 1 for photos and 1 laser MF for everything else. None of the MF have good scanners. They are for copying and fax, most 1200dpi. Keep your stand alone scanner for high quality. Word of advise. The last HP I installed (3015), installed an adware program to monitor printer supplies, java script. It also kept the computer from going into hibernation mode. It part of there added plus features. Install only the drivers and save yourself some headaches.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can put a scanner on a USB server (a USB hub with network adapter). I don't know how to set it up, just because I've never tried.

As for sending faxes...I use an oridinary fax/modem.

WilliamT

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Depending on the print server your using you may or may not be able to scan or fax with a multi function printer. I know the Linksys print server will only allow printing over the network. However, the HP Print servers do allow for scanning and fax over a network through a built in web scan server software in their print server devices. Most print servers don't have software built in to transmit scanned data over the network. The downside is that they cost about $250.

I do a lot of scanning of documents with the multifunction printer and I find it easier than using my separate flat bed scanner. The multi function aligns the document much easier do you don't have to do that yourself with the flat bed.

CAMS

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Depending on the print server your using you may or may not be able to scan or fax with a multi function printer.

He is just going to plug it into a switch or go wireless. No print server required.

goochman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Ok,

I had given up trying to find something but came across the HP Photosmart 3310 MFP which has wireless, scanning, copier, fax and photo printer capabilities(5 color tanks and 1 black).

Issues:
1. Appears to have no paper feed tray for copying?
2. Some reviews say the photo printing is great others say it is faded a lousy.

Anyone have any experience with this or have a review from a reputable source?

Does anyone know if I need to use the special HP photo paper for pictures?

As a reference I currently have a Canon i850 that prints pretty good pictures on the kodak glossy photo paper I have.