Question Multiple BSoD

Tom Stanky

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm trying to troubleshoot my laptop at the moment and I'm getting nowhere... I am thinking it may be a hardware (GPU?) problem?

The system is:
Acer Predator PH315-51
i7 - 8750H
GeForce GTX 1060
16GB RAM
CFL Sienta_CFS Mobo

I noticed I would randomly get a BSoD when streaming shows through my laptop and more recently every time I would attempt to play warzone.

I have since put a fresh install of Windows 10 on there, halfway through setting up I got DPC Watchdog Violation Error.

I have updated Windows to the latest drivers and attempted to update my GPU driver through Geforce Experience however I don't think the program is recognising my GPU as it will not allow me to update the driver or reinstall the previous driver. I am able to do this manually through the NVIDIA website however will still get BSoD even when not playing Warzone.

The most reoccurring BSoD codes are:
-video memory management error
-Video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error
-video schedular internal error

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the laptop is roughly 18 months old.

Cheers,
Tom

Colif

Win 11 Master

Tom Stanky

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
Hi Colif,

The driver for the GTX 1060 is dated 08 June 2021 and the driver available on Acer website is 25 April 2018.

The Intel UHD 630 is dated 30 March 2021 and Acer has a 14 June 2018 available.

Should I roll back to these older drivers?

I used the windows restore tool and opted to delete all files on C drive

Cheers,
Tom

Colif

Win 11 Master
I knew the acer ones would be older. main reason I suggested them is if the drivers that came with acer won't work there could be a physical cause.

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H1

Tom Stanky

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not too crash hot with troubleshooting computers haha

Should I keep the newer drivers or get the old ones?

Oh, I've only got 20H2. Should I upgrade to the newer version?

Colif

Win 11 Master

Tom Stanky

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
Ok, after running DDU and installing the drivers and then doing an update to 21H1 (latest available for me) I am now getting "Direct X has encountered an unrecoverable error" when trying to run Warzone.

I have put the game to run in DX11 as this has been a fix for some people but still no good.

I do get the above BSoD every now again also.

I am at a total loss and thinking the GTX 1060 might be failing?

Tom Stanky

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
I've only got the one game haha

The only overlay I had was Geforce Experience but that was turned off.

I just managed to get in to the game for the first time today and I was able to get to the lobby however when the shader optimisation install was 95% I BSoD with DPC Watchdog Violation.

Tom Stanky

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
I've moved the laptop on to a box that's smaller than the base of the laptop, it seems the computer will run fine (so far) here.

Do you think the smaller area of the box putting force on to the base of the laptop (internals) could be helping here? Like a loose connection to the GPU?

Colif

Win 11 Master
maybe its heat

if the laptop runs with less covering its base it might be overheating. try cleaning the vents out

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/3gxkfcao/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:061221-8468-01.dmp (Jun 12 2021 - 07:30:17)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:nvlddmkm.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 20 Sec(s)

File information:061221-8359-01.dmp (Jun 12 2021 - 05:32:52)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL (10E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)

File information:061221-8125-01.dmp (Jun 12 2021 - 05:51:07)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 58 Sec(s)

File information:061221-6843-01.dmp (Jun 12 2021 - 05:29:54)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ModernWarfare.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 55 Sec(s)

File information:061221-6765-01.dmp (Jun 12 2021 - 05:33:49)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR (113)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

System page: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7603?b=1
You have the latest BIOS already installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Gardenman didn't even feel need to say its GPU drivers - He didn't need to, 4 out of 5 blame gpu drivers. and the 5th is a GPU error just by looking at the error code and dump text mentions directX which is almost always GPU driver
one looks like it may have happened while you were updating drivers

those are all the new Nvidia drivers, had any BSOD since swapping to the ones I listed?

it could be the gpu itself. most of the people I find with some of the codes had hardware problems

try running these (not at same time) and see if you crash during them. I don't need results, just testing gpu really to see if it crashes with a bsod in them.
https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

errors 1 & 3 are tdr errors which means the gpu wasn't responding to the systems requests
error 2 appears to be in a driver update process
error 4 is less clear but still mentions Nvidia as cause
error 5 and error 2 both have watchdog!WdLogEvent5_WdCriticalError in their dump text as last action taken before crash. Most of the people I found with this code also had hardware problems, not just drivers

You might need to get it fixed. I assume that is a new motherboard as gpu normally built into it. repair shop will be able to tell you. I don't think drivers will fix this.

Last edited:

Tom Stanky

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
I tried to use Furmark however it comes up with an error as if it can't detect the Nvidia card...

Ive called Acer technology support and he is scheduling a courier to pick the laptop up for testing.

The laptop had a warranty of 12 months however Australian consumer law recommends a "reasonable time" for products to last. I personally think a GPU would be expected to last more than 18 months, so I hope they can help me out a bit.