Music quality of songs became very dull suddenly

akjain84

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hi,

I have winXP with Sound Max drivers and speakers from Creative.

I had a lot of mp3s which use to just play fine. Recently I copied some new mp3s from my friend's mobiles memory card (phone to PC transfer).

Two weeks after that if I play any mp3 (old or new) the quality of the sound output is very very low. It looks like someone is singing standing in water.

This is the case with Windows Media Player as well as some other audio players softwares (like XMPlay)

I re-installed the sound drivers that came with my motherboard CD (SoundMax) but still the same problem.

What has gone wrong, can it be because of a virus or there might be some settings/configuration that got changed without my intention.

All the help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
You copied some new mp3s from your friend's mobile phone - I think the mp3s from your friend's phone was converted to fit his/her phone but the quality is not the same on a PC.

Try a newer set of drivers from the motherboard vendor, not the one off the CD. I've seen issues like yours (one particular set of systems I worked on had an issue with audio sounding distorted) all the cases I have seen, an updated driver fixed it.

akjain84

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
hey all,

thanks for the replies.

The problem has been resolved now (strange, but without me doing anything).

I just tried 2-3 days after posting the problem here and the sound quality was as good as it should be.

My assumption is that loosening of speaker wiring (due to speaker movement) was the reason.

Thanks anyways to everyone for taking time & replying.

-AKJain