[SOLVED] Music Server and Cloud File Sharing

D

Deleted member 1272431

Hi all,

I have found a lot of stuff online but nothing that relates to what I would like.

I have a server that I want to set up as Plex media server for Films and I am looking for 2 more applications to manage, respectively:

1. Music: I have loads of songs that I would like to be able to access, both in my home LAN (e.g. via a web player) and via mobile devices. Sort of my very own spotify. I am looking for a software (freeware) that has iOS app availability to connect to the server from mobile devices. I would prefer not using Plex for both music and films.

2. File Management. I am moving a NAS setup onto this server as well and need to manage users which must have access to their own folder and to shared ones. Also in this case iOS app is a requirement to access from outside the network.

The server will be running Windows Server 2019. I was surprised that for the second issue I could not find any solution directly provided by Microsoft.

Please send any suggestion or comment you may have! :)
Thanks to anyone who might reply

Solution
I would point out that unless you own DRM on the music, like you wrote it/own it, you are likely going to run into issues attempting to 'stream' that anywhere outside your LAN. Services like Spotify, Pandora, and such pay royalties to music (industry) for the rights to stream that.
More likely that not, and with my own experience, your ISP will send you a cease and desist assuming you can make it work at all.

I know that within Plex you can set up multiple servers and access them as an individual within your own account, but no idea how well it plays with ios.
On your second issue: Windows Server, with installed AD, manages quite well users / folders / etc. Installing "Essentials" role (or downgrading to 2016) helps a lot.

Access from outside of your LAN (iOS or not) is not a standard task. The most secure way is to make your router (or your Windows Server) a VPN server, and "dial into" your home network. From there on, there's no difference as if you are at home.

And finally: What is wrong with Plex as "Music server"?

D

Deleted member 1272431

Thanks for your reply.
Indeed, due to some compatibility issues, I will be running Windows Server 2016.
I will also be using Plex for music as I will be forced to buy the Pass anyway so better to exploit all of it.

Could you please elaborate on the first point or provide a link to a guide? I am new to server management.
At the moment I have a WD Mycloud NAS and user administration is very straightforward and I am accessing through a Web Portal that redirects me to my users' folders via email and . I know it may not be standard but if there is an open source software that provides such a service it would be wonderful.
As for the accessing outside the LAN, I have set the router so that typing the public static IP and respective port I get redirected to Plex. Would that be enough to access the server from outside?

Sorry if I'm not being clear

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would point out that unless you own DRM on the music, like you wrote it/own it, you are likely going to run into issues attempting to 'stream' that anywhere outside your LAN. Services like Spotify, Pandora, and such pay royalties to music (industry) for the rights to stream that.
More likely that not, and with my own experience, your ISP will send you a cease and desist assuming you can make it work at all.

I know that within Plex you can set up multiple servers and access them as an individual within your own account, but no idea how well it plays with ios.

Solution
D

Deleted member 1272431

Thanks for your concern. Let me elaborate: I have tons of music digitally converted form CDs and Vynils I own. Those media files are mine and paid for. Countless users are running media servers and I am doing so right now from my NAS device (and accessing it publicly via a static IP). Since the NAS is old and its processor does not support transcoding on the fly for multiple users (my brothers) I was trying to setup a server which should be able to perform a bit better.
I am trying to resolve the issues coming from such a migration, stemming from the fact that I am inexperienced when it comes to server and from trying to keep the NAS' functionalities unchanged.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I had a similar setup some years ago using Server 08 and an MMS player. Basically was just looping random on my entire music collection. All of it was of music I owned, burned to store digitally. Comcast sent me a C&D over the RIAA mess. I tried to explain it to them, that I owned the music, and was only streaming to myself, etc. Their answer was to throttle me so badly that I couldn't check the news. I have had them do the same over just HAVING a torrent client that we attempted to use for work, and also for transferring files over Team Viewer. They are jerks, lol.

Sorry, I know this doesn't exactly pertain to your situation...I am guessing that you are in Europe?

D

Deleted member 1272431

I had a similar setup some years ago using Server 08 and an MMS player. Basically was just looping random on my entire music collection. All of it was of music I owned, burned to store digitally. Comcast sent me a C&D over the RIAA mess. I tried to explain it to them, that I owned the music, and was only streaming to myself, etc. Their answer was to throttle me so badly that I couldn't check the news. I have had them do the same over just HAVING a torrent client that we attempted to use for work, and also for transferring files over Team Viewer. They are jerks, lol.

Sorry, I know this doesn't exactly pertain to your situation...I am guessing that you are in Europe?
That is correct I am in the EU :)

Reactions: punkncat
Could you please elaborate on the first point or provide a link to a guide? I am new to server management.
It depends what you want to do with your users. You can create users on the server, and everyone can access files on the server with their username / password. You can also install AD role on the server, but thims makes sense only if your desktops/laptops run Pro version of Windows.

For Plex access, you don't need any users / passwords defined in Windows. With your port forwarding, make sure your Plex is always well maintained, as this is could be used to break into your network

D

Deleted member 1272431

Thank you
Plex is already running on the NAS with a Plex Home configuration so it will be more about moving the metadata from a Linux to a Windows based server... will look into that too.
About the cloud, I think I have found what I was looking for file management though: a service like ownCloud. It’s free and I should be able to install it on windows server via IIS. With dynamic DNS setup I should also be able to reach it easily from outside the network.
Thank you for your answers