MVA-Fujitsu Panel and quality of LCDtests@THG

blexxun

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
Home come that the statement of THG that "MVA isn't the be-all and end-all of monitor technology" has been left open? So, yes, its has impressive specs on paper but in reality its different, how comes? Where is the answer? I'm really annoyed by this stupid statement and in the meantime Ive come to the conclusion that all LCD-Monitor tests you can find - on paper and on the net - are useless. They are superficial and not very qualified when it comes to the details of the AMLCD-technology.
Taking the mobo-tests as a reference wrt detailness, the monitor tests especially @ THG are worlds apart. I have the impression that the so called LCD test @ THG is mostly based on the specs in the datasheets. But these are only half of the story, as we all know. So..where is the discussion of the panel technology being used in each individual monitor? Where is the discussion of the panel controllerchips? How about panel cross talk? How is gamma correction being done? Do the panel driver use over/under drive? Is there any motion blur reduction?....I know its quite complicated...

In the past weeks I've read a ton of material about AMLCDs and I must say I'm missing a lot in the tests.

On the discussion board here I see that ppl are discussing Mitsubishis FFD. Well, actually thats nothing but a special Over/underdrive technique which is known to all major panel manufacturers. This can be easiliy verified by doing a patent search. Also a lot can be learned from the papers of the SID (Society of informatiion display) which can be found on www. A lot can be read that several manufacturers are working into the direction of blurr-reduction of motion pictures. Over- and under drive is only one technique. Compared to a CRT where the phosphores have a response time of 50us (thats 1000x faster than a 50ms LCD). LCDs will be always different when they are used to display motion pictures because they suffer from the 'sample and hold' artefact. In future this will be improved by 'flashing backlights'.
For now it is absolutely unclear whether all these nice improvements are already in the monitors or not. BTW you can find panels at Hydis and Chungwa which are featured having a response time of 20ms. To find all these things out is actually the task of sites such as THG.

So far everything is left open when it comes to the proof for the best LCD monitor in its category.
...I think I have to create my own test site...