Dec 29, 2020
Hello. I have an AOC 24G2W1G4 144hz monitor. It is the only monitor in use, and I am using a DisplayPort Cable. For some reason it is capped at 120hz and I am trying to figure out why. I have updated Windows and have gone into Nvidia Geforce experience and updated drivers there.

I wanted to download drivers for the monitor but when visiting the official website: https://mm.aoc.com/download_driver.php , the driver is in the form of a .zip file. After extraction, I am unsure how to proceed. There are only 3 files present when double-clicked, none of them install a driver. Any tips on this are appreciated as this could easily solve the problem.

Anyway, the rest of the specs of the machine are as follows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
System Type x64-based PC
BaseBoard Product Nitro N50-610
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 120 hertz

If I have left anything out that can help please let me know and I will update the post. I am checking the display frequency in Windows Display Settings and Nvidia Control Panel.

After trying the same DisplayPort cable in a different PC+Monitor, and still getting 144hz, I cannot think of anything else that explains why I am only getting 120hz. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am pretty certain the monitor is capable of 144hz and so is the GPU (maybe not in most games but I am simply talking about the frequency when doing nothing), but apart from figuring out how to install the display drivers, I have nothing left to try.

Thanks for your help

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You have the extracted files somewhere. Go to device manager, select your monitor, select Update Driver. Select that you will choose the location to search for drivers, point it at the unzipped folder, and if it is the correct driver, it will install it.

If that doesn't unlock all the settings, then you might have to use something like the Custom Resolution Utility, though that shouldn't be necessary.

It is possible that the cable you have just can't handle the bandwidth, but if that is the cable that came with the monitor that shouldn't be a concern.

Make sure you select from the PC section of the NVIDIA control panel.

View: https://i.imgur.com/isKHgnz.png

It is possible that the cable you have just can't handle the bandwidth, but if that is the cable that came with the monitor that shouldn't be a concern.

1080p 120 Hz and 144 Hz both use the same transmission speed in DisplayPort, so the signaling rate in the cable is the same for both.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS