Question My computer freezes about 3 times a day.

Jul 27, 2024
Hi,

I have a prebuilt computer I've had for about 6 years. I've listed the specs below.

• Windows 10
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920x
  • GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060Ti
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte X399 Designare EX-CF
  • 4 8gb sticks of DDR4 RAM, 2133 MHz
  • 3 storage drives, 1 NVME M.2 SSD and 2 3.5" HDDs
  • Corsair 850W PSU
A long while ago, I was getting these same freezes. Everything completely stops, can't move the mouse, no audio, I have to manually hold down the power button to restart the computer. It took many trips to a computer repair shop to find out my old SSD was faulty. CrystalDiskInfo said it had a Media and Data Integrity Error. I switched it out and had a few months of no more freezing.

A few days ago, I downloaded Valorant and my computer was acting super buggy and sluggish trying to launch it, and crashed a couple times. Since then, it's been doing the exact same freezes, about 3 times a day on average.

CrystalDiskInfo says all my storage drives are good. I switched out my DisplayPort with an HDMI, which didn't fix it. I updated my chipset drivers. I did a DDU to remove all drivers and installed the most recent ones from GeForce Experience. I used OCCT to do a stability test on my CPU + RAM, then VRAM, then memory, all of which completed with no errors. I ran MalwareBytes which said everything was clean.

Reliability Monitor only ever says "Windows was not properly shut down", "Windows shut down unexpectedly", or "Windows stopped working", with no additional technical details.

Event Viewer shows a Critical error that says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

In Event Viewer I will also get errors that say "The Secure Boot update failed to update a Secure Boot variable with error Secure Boot is not enabled on this machine."
As well as "The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted."

I'm at quite a loss now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 27, 2024
Coincidence with similar symptoms, might be something different this time.

Check cpu temps with Hwinfo. What cooler are you using and how old?

Hi, forgot to include in original post, I've been monitoring temps during the crashes with CoreTemp and they're all normal. They never got that hot with the stability tests either. I replaced my old cooler a few years ago with a Cooler Master Wraith Ripper, and had a professional install it since I was having some cooler issues way back then.

Hi,

I have a prebuilt computer I've had for about 6 years. I've listed the specs below.

• Windows 10
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920x
  • GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060Ti
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte X399 Designare EX-CF
  • 4 8gb sticks of DDR4 RAM, 2133 MHz
  • 3 storage drives, 1 NVME M.2 SSD and 2 3.5" HDDs
  • Corsair 850W PSU
A long while ago, I was getting these same freezes. Everything completely stops, can't move the mouse, no audio, I have to manually hold down the power button to restart the computer. It took many trips to a computer repair shop to find out my old SSD was faulty. CrystalDiskInfo said it had a Media and Data Integrity Error. I switched it out and had a few months of no more freezing.

A few days ago, I downloaded Valorant and my computer was acting super buggy and sluggish trying to launch it, and crashed a couple times. Since then, it's been doing the exact same freezes, about 3 times a day on average.

CrystalDiskInfo says all my storage drives are good. I switched out my DisplayPort with an HDMI, which didn't fix it. I updated my chipset drivers. I did a DDU to remove all drivers and installed the most recent ones from GeForce Experience. I used OCCT to do a stability test on my CPU + RAM, then VRAM, then memory, all of which completed with no errors. I ran MalwareBytes which said everything was clean.

Reliability Monitor only ever says "Windows was not properly shut down", "Windows shut down unexpectedly", or "Windows stopped working", with no additional technical details.

Event Viewer shows a Critical error that says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

In Event Viewer I will also get errors that say "The Secure Boot update failed to update a Secure Boot variable with error Secure Boot is not enabled on this machine."
As well as "The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted."

I'm at quite a loss now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reseat all psu plugs....both ends.....test.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Valorant bring with it Vanguard, an anti-cheat tool that causes no end of problems, typically BSODs. The driver that causes these problems in vgk.sys, so look in C:\Windows\Minidumps and upload all dumps you find in there, especially those dated after you install Valorant.