Question My Cpu Core i7-10750H keeps throttling and gives massive FPS drops

Jun 15, 2024
My laptop (MSI GF65 Thin) core i7-10750H started giving 5 to 10 fps on games I used to get solid fps 5 to 6 days ago. I use throttlestop and I just applied the settings that worked for me. I'Help me fix this issue please! My CPU has 2.6 GHz Turbo Boost 5.0 GHz (12 MB Cache). now if I disable turbo boost, i get decent frames however if I enable it i get as low as 5 fps with 0% CPU utilization along with the clock speed set to 800MHz( I use MSI afterburner for monitoring).

Jun 15, 2024
It is a laptop MSI GF65 THIN
I have Intel Core i7-10750-H.
16 GB DDR5 ram
Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB (laptop)

g2WKyDU.png

I dont think it's a temp problem, because while gaming I get 65 to 75 Celcius on CPU and 73 to 84 Celcius GPU.

I think I might not have properly undervolted but undervolt worked for me for almost 5 months until recently it started causing issues.

Jun 15, 2024
So it might sound confusing, ask again if I am not able to convey it properly. So, initially I had temps issues, I undervolted and repasted. It fixed the error for me. Now, with that same undervolt 6 months later I started facing unplayable FPS on Cyberpunk irrespective of Turbo Boost or at Base Clock speed.

I repasted it again, the temps are fine but this time there was only one difference, as I increase my CPU clock speed from 2.5GHz(which is the base speed) it gives the same issue again, however at Base speed everything seems fine but it randomly generates a fps dip to 0 occasionaly.

If I reset it to default settings (delete ini file of throttlestop) then at base speed its fine as I mentioned above but the issue persists for the factory settings of the laptop

Now I realize that with the temps being normal, something might have happened with my thermal sensors that cause the throttling to happen. But temp stay normal even with that micro stutter, the CPU utilization just goes to zero for a second and then again back at its normal one.

I can attach screenshots of stuff you can ask that might help with your diagonosis.

Last edited:
Reactions: fallennotepic
@fallennotepic
Why are the PL1 and PL2 power limits set so low in ThrottleStop? This is telling the CPU to power limit throttle.

The log file is showing a lot of POWER STATUS CHANGE messages. Are you using any MSI control software that is preventing your battery from being fully charged? If you cannot find this setting, start uninstalling anything MSI related.

Is your battery OK? Can it still hold a charge? Are you using the original OEM power adapter? You should never be seeing constant POWER STATUS CHANGE messages in the ThrottleStop log file.

In the top right corner of the TPL window, check the MMIO Lock box. Set the MSR PL1 and PL2 power limits to at least 50W or 60W. Set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the max, 255.75.

Turn on Nvidia GPU monitoring in the Options window. Maybe your Nvidia GPU is also being starved for power.

Reactions: fallennotepic
Jun 15, 2024
If I set anything above 38W I get high temps for my CPU which I trade off with slight derease in performance. Suggest me some good power limits for my laptop, its default value was 200W.

I am using MSI dragon Center to prevent the battery from being fully charged. I locked it at 80% as I use my laptop plugged in, I dont change this setting often.

I think my battery is not in its best/ perfect state but as far as gaming laptops are concerned, it holds enough for 3 hr with coding/normal multimedia stuff. So I think battery is fine plus I also use the original CHICONY (chargers for MSI) power adapter.

I applied the fix that you suggested in the TPL window. Thank you as they worked for me and as far as FPS are concerned they are right back on track, i get 45 to 60 FPS in cyberpunk at med to high settings. But I still believe that there might be more issues to resolve. I ll still upload log files for you to review.
https://pastebin.com/Zqz6zdQG

I still get the POWER STATUS CHANGE messages, suggest me anything I can do to improve this issue.

I am using MSI dragon Center to prevent the battery from being fully charged.
This is likely what causes the POWER STATUS CHANGE messages in the log file. When this happens, the GPU throttles down to 300 MHz so the FPS will drop significantly and your games will stutter. Using software so your battery never fully charges is the main source of your problems.

I have a 10 year old laptop that has always been charged to 100% and the original battery still works fine. I would turn off that MSI Dragon Center feature. eBay batteries are cheap. It is not worth gimping the performance of your laptop to try and make your battery last forever.

Your CPU should be running at over 4000 MHz when playing games. It is only running at 3200 MHz. This can be caused by Dragon Center. Do you have your laptop set to some sort of power saving profile in Dragon Center? I would check the MMIO Lock box in ThrottleStop. That might help avoid what Dragon Center is doing. Better yet, consider uninstalling Dragon Center just so you can see how your laptop runs without it.

Jun 15, 2024
So I uninstalled Dragon Center and I basically used to adjust fan speeds when gaming or turn it to 'Silent' during my programming classes. The thing is even after uninstalling, its still saying POWER STATUS CHANGE but as far as 3200MHz is concerned, I think it is because I put speed shift Max at 32 (as shown in the screenshot above).

I never limited the Battery charge percentage feature to preserve it, I just found it cool and I was like I should try this. I ll change the battery when this one dies out so idc. Thanks for this.

So I did check the MMIO Lock box and it stopped the constant 10 FPS while gaming but I still get jitters sometimes and when I check the log file at that corresponding time it does show POWER STATUS CHANGE. SO, I still think it is not cause of Dragon Center.

Could it be because of my speedshift set to 32. I dont have much idea about Throttlestop so I just F'ed around and did what worked for me.

Jun 15, 2024
This is likely what causes the POWER STATUS CHANGE messages in the log file. When this happens, the GPU throttles down to 300 MHz so the FPS will drop significantly and your games will stutter. Using software so your battery never fully charges is the main source of your problems.

I have a 10 year old laptop that has always been charged to 100% and the original battery still works fine. I would turn off that MSI Dragon Center feature. eBay batteries are cheap. It is not worth gimping the performance of your laptop to try and make your battery last forever.

Your CPU should be running at over 4000 MHz when playing games. It is only running at 3200 MHz. This can be caused by Dragon Center. Do you have your laptop set to some sort of power saving profile in Dragon Center? I would check the MMIO Lock box in ThrottleStop. That might help avoid what Dragon Center is doing. Better yet, consider uninstalling Dragon Center just so you can see how your laptop runs without it.
@uWebb429
I have realized that the final issue is because of POWER STATUS CHANGE, I just need to know how to fix it, there could be a few things one of em could be that my adapter might be damaged but during valorant (CPU INTENSIVE GAME) I dont get POWER STATUS CHANGE in my logs however during RDR2 I get those each second and it makes playing games a living hell

POWER STATUS CHANGE
I have no idea what causes these Windows messages or how to fix things so these messages do not happen.

The only time I ever see these messages on my laptop is when I disconnect the power adapter or plug it back in. I think that is the only time you should see these messages. Here is the Microsoft explanation.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/power/pbt-apmpowerstatuschange

It could be an issue with your power adapter or your battery but I am not sure. I cannot recommend that you should try replacing either of these. If you buy a new power adapter and it has the exact same power rating, it might not make any difference. Perhaps this is just a design defect where the MSI specified power adapter simply cannot reliably deliver enough power to both the CPU and Nvidia GPU.

during RDR2 I get those each second
The problem might not be CPU related. Some games might be putting a heavier load on the Nvidia GPU causing increased power draw.

Are you overclocking your Nvidia GPU? If you are I would try doing the opposite. I would underclock the Nvidia GPU to see if that can reduce power consumption.

Post an update if you ever find a solution. I know other users have had this same problem but I cannot remember ever hearing how to fix this.