Question My CPU gets really hot and hits 100% usage

gr8tst

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
Hey y'all, I've been having some real trouble with my CPU recently. While playing games I've experienced stutters and major choppiness which I'm attributing to my cpu hitting high temperatures (100 degrees celcius at the highest) and high usage. I have a 6700k in a B360 gaming plus w a H100IGTX cooler , 16 gb vengeance ram, and a 2080. I reapplied thermal paste today, kryonaut, and was hoping to see improved temperatures but no luck. I checked to see if my cooler is functioning and I believe it is because the RPM's are listed in HWMonitor. I was hoping y'all could give me some advice on how to go about troubleshooting the cause of this issue. I appreciate any help y'all can offer.
Thanks in advance guys!

Hey y'all, I've been having some real trouble with my CPU recently. While playing games I've experienced stutters and major choppiness which I'm attributing to my cpu hitting high temperatures (100 degrees celcius at the highest) and high usage. I have a 6700k in a B360 gaming plus w a H100IGTX cooler , 16 gb vengeance ram, and a 2080. I reapplied thermal paste today, kryonaut, and was hoping to see improved temperatures but no luck. I checked to see if my cooler is functioning and I believe it is because the RPM's are listed in HWMonitor. I was hoping y'all could give me some advice on how to go about troubleshooting the cause of this issue. I appreciate any help y'all can offer.
Thanks in advance guys!
Is your driver's for the chipset and rest of the Mobo up to date as of current drivers? Is the bios upto date? How long has this been a issue? And how old is the system?

gr8tst

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
Is your driver's for the chipset and rest of the Mobo up to date as of current drivers? Is the bios upto date? How long has this been a issue? And how old is the system?
How do I check if the drivers for the chipset and the rest of the mobo are up to date? How do I check if bios is up to date? I'm not sure how long this has been an issue for but I think for a while like months. And the system is maybe a year or two old.

I was hoping y'all could give me some advice on how to go about troubleshooting the cause of this issue.
Either improperly installed or broken AIO (clogged cpu block /broken pump).
Check, if installed/connected properly.
If connections are fine, then since it is not user serviceable - replace.

Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Reactions: rickypicky5
Thanks in advance guys!
Did you build this PC yourself? Where did you install the CPU cooler - front or top of the case? If installed on top the fans should be oriented to blow (or suck) air OUT of the case. If installed in the front, the fans should be oriented to blow (or suck) air INTO the case.

Reactions: white.a.drew

gr8tst

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
Did you build this PC yourself? Where did you install the CPU cooler - front or top of the case? If installed on top the fans should be oriented to blow (or suck) air OUT of the case. If installed in the front, the fans should be oriented to blow (or suck) air INTO the case.
I did build it myself. The radiator is on top of the case, and I believe the fans are oriented to suck air into the case, but am uploading photos to imgur so that you can see.
View: https://imgur.com/a/RdINLcs

Let me know if that doesn't work but i think it should.

gr8tst

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016

View: https://imgur.com/a/RdINLcs

Here's the link to the imgur. I believe it is installed correctly, but I could be wrong honestly. Let me know if there's something I can do to insure it is installed correctly, and thank you for your help.

gr8tst

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016

Do you think I should try reseating the cooler? Or get a new cooler?

You should flip your fans to blow the air out of the case not in
Fans are oriented correctly. They're pushing air out of the case.

Do you think I should try reseating the cooler? Or get a new cooler?
Try to feel, if pump in cpu block is vibrating.
Try to feel temperature of tubes going from cpu block to radiator. There should be no discernible temperature difference between them.

You'll probably have to get a new cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew

gr8tst

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016

Try to feel, if pump in cpu block is vibrating.
Try to feel temperature of tubes going from cpu block to radiator. There should be no discernible temperature difference between them.

You'll probably have to get a new cooler.
Both tubes are about the same temperature, no huge difference. But the pump which I'm assuming is the block on top of the cpu isn't really vibrating.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I suggest reevaluating those 2 images the OP posted.
Refer back to this:
iu

Both tubes are about the same temperature, no huge difference.
Did you do this with the cpu under load? Gotta check them with a load on the cpu.
Run Cinebench R23, give it about a minute to soak, then feel those tubes. If there is still no real discernible difference between them even after that:
-poor cooler contact.
-cooler is clogged at the cpu block.

Red cpu light appears for a number of reasons. I can remember 2 of them:
-cpu reached throttle limit.
-cpu not detected, which isn't happening here.