My cpu seems to be having some temperature spikes

TheOneAndOnly1

Reputable
May 4, 2016
when im gaming and not on youtube on my second monitor my cpu temps are low like in the 40-50s but when i change song on my second monitor the tempos spike to around the 60s to mid 60s and sometimes to 70 degrees is this normal i have a i7 3770 with a hyper evo 212 cooler and have not noticed this before i started using my second monitor but idk maybe it is just normal and i did not notice it

Solution
It probably isn't the dust considering that it runs on normal temperatures as long as he doesn't use the second monitor. Try using HWMonitor to see what are the voltages at normal work, and what are they when switching to the other monitor. By stable I mean the usual value at which your PC runs that isn't auto.

TheOneAndOnly1

Reputable
May 4, 2016

What is a stable value im not really sure how i would go about doing this isnt it better to let it run auto?

BlazeDragon

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
I would do the following:
1) make sure fan out take is clear
2) use caned air to blow out any dust that might be in the area
3) remove your heat sink and clean the cpu and heat sink of all thermal paste and apply a fresh coat. (this is tricky if you've never done it, but easy enough to do)

nooneisback

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
It probably isn't the dust considering that it runs on normal temperatures as long as he doesn't use the second monitor. Try using HWMonitor to see what are the voltages at normal work, and what are they when switching to the other monitor. By stable I mean the usual value at which your PC runs that isn't auto.

Solution