Question Low wattage on my CPU ?

May 10, 2024
So I recently turned on the CPU Power section in my OSD on Afterburner, and it shows that my wattage is only at 6 to 8 Watts on every game I play, is this normal? When I watch people with my specs they have like 70 to 95 Watts, not sure whats going on.

My performance is half of the benchmarks I see on YouTube.

GPU: Gainward Ghost RTX 4070 Super
CPU: Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard: PRO A620M-A

Image of the OSD: View: https://imgur.com/a/RWcWMRM

Last edited:
May 10, 2024
It might be heavily thermal throttling, getting so hot that it can only run at 6-7W but is still that hot.
There is a chance although I think it's pretty unlikely.
i see, i guess getting a better cpu cooler is the only option to fix this? Im currently using a hyper 212.

If that is the case, any recommendations on what cooler to get for my 7700x?

i see, i guess getting a better cpu cooler is the only option to fix this? Im currently using a hyper 212.

If that is the case, any recommendations on what cooler to get for my 7700x?
Don't jump the gun, make really really sure that this is the problem first, starting with testing other things and see how fast hot they run.
You have 5.5Ghz and almost 50% usage so my feeling is that it's showing you a wrong sensor or that there is a bug or something, you wouldn't be able to run that fast with so much usage on 7W.

Reactions: thestryker
May 10, 2024
Don't jump the gun, make really really sure that this is the problem first, starting with testing other things and see how fast hot they run.
You have 5.5Ghz and almost 50% usage so my feeling is that it's showing you a wrong sensor or that there is a bug or something, you wouldn't be able to run that fast with so much usage on 7W.
The usage usually spikes up to 60s or 70s as well. not too sure if that plays a part in it.

When you say test out other things, what do you mean, what other things should I test out? This is like my second gaming pc so im very new to all this, i've done a bit research but its all very confusing.

The usage usually spikes up to 60s or 70s as well. not too sure if that plays a part in it.

When you say test out other things, what do you mean, what other things should I test out? This is like my second gaming pc so im very new to all this, i've done a bit research but its all very confusing.
You can run things like cinebench that mostly only test the cpu and things like furmark that only test the GPU to see if they run normally independently, which would show an issue when running both at the same time, maybe your PSU is only borderline enough and hampers the performance when both try to run fast.

Also your mobo might just not support the CPU properly, I don't know much about that so that could be completely wrong, it's just a possibility.
It's a mobo that was released for the 3000 series and you are running a 7000 series CPU on it.

So I recently turned on the CPU Power section in my OSD on Afterburner, and it shows that my wattage is only at 6 to 8 Watts on every game I play, is this normal? When I watch people with my specs they have like 70 to 95 Watts, not sure whats going on.

My performance is half of the benchmarks I see on YouTube.

GPU: Gainward Ghost RTX 4070 Super
CPU: Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard: PRO A320M-A

Image of the OSD: View: https://imgur.com/a/RWcWMRM
Are you sure the mobo supports the 7700x?
The support list does not show it does.

May 10, 2024
Are you sure the mobo supports the 7700x?
The support list does not show it does.
Im pretty sure it does, I've done tests on 3D Mark and the scores are similar to other tests I see on the 7700x. Not sure if that means it fully supports it though. Plus on pcpartpicker it says they're compatible and no problems come up.

The sensor data you're seeing there is absolutely wrong. There's a decent chance the motherboard is holding back the CPU from maximum boost performance due to poor VRM and lack of cooling for it.

I'd suggest taking a look at something like HWMonitor just to see if there's any different information appearing. I do think whatever CPU performance issues you might be seeing are going to be related to the motherboard though.

DRAM speed may also have a bit to do with it, but that would depend entirely on what speed it is currently running.