[SOLVED] My CPU's Max Turbo Boost is at 3.9Ghz with 4 cores, If I attempt to make it 4.0Ghz for all 4, will nothing happen?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Using throttlestop this is what my settings look like right now:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

If I made all cores run at 4.0Ghz, is this considered an overclock and will automatically apply, or do I have to overvolt my CPU first otherwise nothing happens?

Right now it's undervolted because I want to run my CPU at lower temperatures but I'm just curious.

Solution
So if I do set it to 4.0Ghz , will nothing happen until I overvolt, or will it try to maintain 4.0Ghz but keep fluctuating because it doesn't have enough voltage?

With my undervolt what happens?
It depends on the type of overclocking you did. Given how low it is compared to turbo boost speeds, I presume you're forcing all the cores to run at 4.0GHz. If there's not enough voltage, either Windows will BSOD or the computer will reset itself because it crashed. However, that doesn't mean you need to overvolt. You can probably get away with a slightly less undervolt or stock voltage settings.
So if I do set it to 4.0Ghz , will nothing happen until I overvolt, or will it try to maintain 4.0Ghz but keep fluctuating because it doesn't have enough voltage?

With my undervolt what happens?
It depends on the type of overclocking you did. Given how low it is compared to turbo boost speeds, I presume you're forcing all the cores to run at 4.0GHz. If there's not enough voltage, either Windows will BSOD or the computer will reset itself because it crashed. However, that doesn't mean you need to overvolt. You can probably get away with a slightly less undervolt or stock voltage settings.

Reactions: ShangWang
Solution

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Thanks, it seems that the overclock does work but it fluctuates and doesn't exactly reach 4.0Ghz.

TRENDING THREADS