[SOLVED] My desktop is shutting down randomly and only turns on after pressing ON button multiple times.What should I do?

Apr 9, 2022
It is shutting down randomly after a blue screen showing Video TDR failure/ nvlddmkm.sys . And it is frustrating that it isn't turning on in one go. I have to try multiple times just to turn it on. The temperatures are fine and graphic drivers are latest. My system was working fine till 20th march, 2022. After that, I started seeing this kind of issue. It has now become worse.

System Specs

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 2310 @ 2.90GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
Motherboard
Intel Corporation DH61WW (LGA1155 CPU 1)
SMB2030 (1600x900@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 (NVIDIA)
Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA )
PSU
iBall PPS-282 (450 Watts) (around 3-4 years old)

Last edited:
Solution
Does the machine work if you completely remove the GPU and connect to the motherboard for integrated graphics? The PSU is absolute garbage, but you're also not using much power.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need more information from your end. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Please include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. For the sake of relevance, how are you monitoring temps? Might want to also share the temps with us as well. We can move forward from there.

Apr 9, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need more information from your end. When posting a thread of a troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Please include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. For the sake of relevance, how are you monitoring temps? Might want to also share the temps with us as well. We can move forward from there.
Sure, I have already shared the details. I don't know the chassis number, will add it after checking

Apr 9, 2022
I haven't tried removing the GPU yet. About PSU, you are absolutely right, it actually is garbage, but before replacing it, I want to be sure that the problem is with PSU only. And your suggestion is good, I will get back to you after checking the GPU.

Apr 9, 2022
Does the machine work if you completely remove the GPU and connect to the motherboard for integrated graphics? The PSU is absolute garbage, but you're also not using much power.
I haven't tried removing the GPU yet. About PSU, you are absolutely right, it actually is garbage, but before replacing it, I want to be sure that the problem is with PSU only. And your suggestion is good, I will get back to you after checking the GPU.

Apr 9, 2022
Hi, it seems that the problem is with the graphics card only. After I removed it, the system turned on without any issues. Surprisingly, the boot time has also decreased. I will check it for a few days and will post again if any issue occurs. Thank you so much for your help.