[SOLVED] My father's Gigabyte Aorus Elite Z390 and 9900k and G.Skill RipJaws 32GB 3200Mhz RAM CL16 kit will only work at 2133Mhz.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Ever since my father built his rig coming from a old Sandy Bridge 2600k it has been a stellar system with not a single crash. With one click I got all cores to 5Ghz with Easy Tune but memory shows at 2133Mhz. So I went to BIOS and set X.M.P to no avail. Then I went to BIOS and set the voltage from 1.35v to 1.40v and put the speed manually to 3200Mhz and also set the proper timings on the memory kit. I understand AMD is picky but Intel is being very picky. I was once able to set it to 3200Mhz with Easy Tune and it rebooted and showed up as 3200Mhz but that was just once. After that he shuts down computer turns it on it says error enter BIOS as the OC is no good. So I go to BIOS and its a loop same hole. He has BIOS F4 and I am scared to flash to F5 and F6 and F7 and so on because it is not my computer and if I F it up he will chop my balls off as he has more data and weird apps and pics then any of us here lol. He is 77 and ticking strong and healthy. Anyhow the case is a Fractal Design and a Intel M.2. The RAM kit is G.Skill RipJaws 3200Mhz CL16 at 1.35v. I have set all timings to what it says on it and to no avail. Once again we had it at 3200Mhz but short lived after couple days. Im stumped and only thing I can think of is to flash the BIOS firmware but I don't wan't to as I said as I can't risk it going from F4 to F5 to F6 to F7 and bricking it finally ya know. Any help or advice on this matter would be appreciated. :sneaky:

Solution
Support for the 9900K starts at bios F7 or F3.
I do not know why the difference, it may depend on the processor production date.
F7 updates the cpu microcode.
I think you need to update the bios.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Intel is not dependent on fast ram so a valid option is to leave things be.

OTOH, a flash is safer these days so long as you do not interrupt the process.
Best to explain to dad and let him make the decision.
With one click I got all cores to 5Ghz with Easy Tune
Is it really necessary to overclock i9 9900K ?
Just that you can, doesn't necessary mean, you have to do that.
BTW 1.35V is considered max safe voltage for DDR4. Beyond that you start risking damage to cpu memory controller.

What cpu cooler are you using? What cpu temperatures are you getting on idle/load?

Reactions: egda23

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Is it really necessary to overclock i9 9900K ?
Just that you can, doesn't necessary mean, you have to do that.
BTW 1.35V is considered max safe voltage for DDR4. Beyond that you start risking damage to cpu memory controller.

What cpu cooler are you using? What cpu temperatures are you getting on idle/load?
Thanks for your response skynet... We got him a Be Quiet Dark Pro 4 with two fans on it. It is very silent. His idle temps are in the 30's c like 35c. His load temps when he uses Premiere or Photoshop is like 70c to 80c. Also yes I took the voltage to 1.35v as the kit says. Also put in the timings manually. I mean it worked once or twice at 3200Mhz with Easy Tuner but after a shutdown the system gives error and you enter BIOS. I don't see why I must update BIOS firmware to get it to 3200Mhz. This is a nice bottleneck also yes his PC is very fast and it was at like 4.7Ghz or 4.8Ghz or so depending on what hes doing. Using speedstep and balanced power it underclocks and undervolts so hes safe. When he does work as I said the temps are ok never reach more then 85c. His OS has never frozen or black screen or crashed. Not even once. Thanks again for the reply my friend.

Support for the 9900K starts at bios F7 or F3.
I do not know why the difference, it may depend on the processor production date.
F7 updates the cpu microcode.
I think you need to update the bios.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Intel is not dependent on fast ram so a valid option is to leave things be.

OTOH, a flash is safer these days so long as you do not interrupt the process.
Best to explain to dad and let him make the decision.

Solution