precisiontech

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I'm a network rookie and I'm having trouble with my first setup.

I have a old XP desktop connected to AT&T DSL thru a modem. Internet works fine. As soon as I throw my Linksys router into the mix, I get wifi on my laptop, and other mobile devices but loose internet on the desktop. What's going on?

How exactly did you throw the Linksys router into the mix? These things need to be connected and configured in specific ways, or it won’t work as expected. You connected what to what, using what ports?

Wouldn’t hurt to know the specific make and model of products either (e.g., I don’t know if we’re dealing w/ just a modem, or perhaps a combination device, modem+router, it all matters).

Also, you said wifi works for your laptop and mobile devices. Does that mean they have internet access too (you can have the former w/o the latter)?

precisiontech

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Cable from wall (with filter) to DSL Westell modem. Cable from modem to Linksys WRT54G's internet port. Cable from router #1 port to desktop ethernet port.

I am able to connect my laptop and mobile devices and have internet access. I just can't get access on the desktop with the router.

Usually it's the other way around, wired works and wireless proves troublesome. Perhaps uploading your TCP/IP configuration for the desktop while it's configured for ethernet will reveal something.

Hit Windows key + R, copy/paste the following into the box, and hit enter.

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > %tmp%\tmp.txt && start notepad %tmp%\tmp.txt"

This will open a file detailing your network configuration. Copy its contents into your next reply.

precisiontech

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix. : myhome.westell.com
Description............................... : Broadcom 44x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical Address...................... : 00-0B-DB-B6-B1-F6
Dhcp Enabled........................... : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled....... : Yes
IP Address............................... : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask............................ : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway...................... : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server............................ : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers............................. : 192.168.1.1

I have the modem's address at 192.168.1.1 and the router's 192.168.2.1.

The output of ipconfig looks correct, and even your description of the setup seems sound. But this is the first time you’ve mentioned it actually working at least briefly, which tells me it is configured properly. And we know the modem and wireless is sound because wireless users have no problems. That suggests hardware failure. And presuming you used the same PC ethernet port and network cable, that suggests the culprit is the router’s switch. Did you try other LAN ports? Can you communicate consistently and reliably w/ other devices, either wired or wireless (e.g., a prolonged file transfer from machine to machine)?

precisiontech

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Everything was working fine last night (wifi devices and desktop had internet access). Last night I shut the desktop down. This morning I cannot access the internet through wifi or the desktop. By shutting down the desktop, is this also resetting the router or modem?

precisiontech

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Everything was working fine last night (wifi devices and desktop had internet access). Last night I shut the desktop down. This morning I cannot access the internet through wifi or the desktop. By shutting down the desktop, is this also resetting the router or modem?

Shutting down the desktop should have no negative effects on the modem/router.

How old is this particular WRT54G? Let’s remember, this router’s initial release dates back almost 10 years! I just had someone recently who had an old WRT54G which had become extremely flakey. As I told him, these routers *do* wear out after several years, some worse and faster than others. And when they do, they become very unpredictable in their behavior, sometimes downright bizarre. After exhausting every other possibility, he got a new router and POOF, all the problems disappeared.

Our tendency is to think these devices will last indefinitely, but it’s simply not the case. The constant heat from daily usage, the cheap components, etc., all take their toll and they just need to be replaced.

I don’t normally assume this is the case (too easy to blow off real problems), but when it comes to old routers, and particularly the WRT54G, and what could otherwise only be described as bizarre behavior, I can’t help but start to think we have a dying router on our hands.