Question My gpu usage drops again and again while gaming but i get 99% gpu usage in stress test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2020
I am getting fps drops in games because my gpu usage drops again and again. I did a stress test of my gpu and got stable 99% gpu usage. I have tried many fixes from Youtube and Google but unfortunately, nothing worked :(
I have a Core I7 3770 with a GTX 1050 Ti.
Please help me here i have tried everything but nothing is working.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Can you elaborate on drops? What games? What resolution? What in-game settings? What kind of drops are you seeing?

Are you monitoring CPU/RAM usage, as well as GPU?

Most "stress tests" for GPUs are exactly that; Stress tests for GPUs alone (well, mostly).

Real-world scenarios, like gaming etc, will vary between CPU/RAM/GPU loads, and a particular scene in a game may be more CPU intensive than anything else - in which case ,the CPU might limit what the GPU is able to do.

Reactions: norcalsc
Mar 11, 2020
Can you elaborate on drops? What games? What resolution? What in-game settings? What kind of drops are you seeing?

Are you monitoring CPU/RAM usage, as well as GPU?

Most "stress tests" for GPUs are exactly that; Stress tests for GPUs alone (well, mostly).

Real-world scenarios, like gaming etc, will vary between CPU/RAM/GPU loads, and a particular scene in a game may be more CPU intensive than anything else - in which case ,the CPU might limit what the GPU is able to do.
I am talking about all games i have tried like GTA 5, Far Cry 5, Just Cause 4. I also tried Tekken 7 and Fifa 20. I am not getting any lag in Tekken and Fifa but i noticed screen tearing in those games which was very annoying. I am playing on 1920x1080 resolution and playing all games on High Settings.
I don't get stable 100% gpu usage in any game which drops again and again due to which the fps drops and the game lags.
I limited the fps in GTA 5 to 30 due to which the gpu usage was already low but still there were fps drops and lags.
Yes, i am monitoring everything and the cpu usage and temp is good.
I did a stress test for the gpu because the problem was only in gpu usage.
I saw benchmarks of a pc with same specs as mine in GTA 5 on YouTube and it was giving stable 99% gpu usage with 70-80 FPS on Very High settings. I also get 80 FPS in GTA 5 when my gpu usage is at 99% but it drops again and again which makes the game unplayable. I have recorded a video of GTA 5 game play and the stress test. Please tell me how to share it here so that you can understand better.

LapizTheRelic

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
I am talking about all games i have tried like GTA 5, Far Cry 5, Just Cause 4. I also tried Tekken 7 and Fifa 20. I am not getting any lag in Tekken and Fifa but i noticed screen tearing in those games which was very annoying. I am playing on 1920x1080 resolution and playing all games on High Settings.
I don't get stable 100% gpu usage in any game which drops again and again due to which the fps drops and the game lags.
I limited the fps in GTA 5 to 30 due to which the gpu usage was already low but still there were fps drops and lags.
Yes, i am monitoring everything and the cpu usage and temp is good.
I did a stress test for the gpu because the problem was only in gpu usage.
I saw benchmarks of a pc with same specs as mine in GTA 5 on YouTube and it was giving stable 99% gpu usage with 70-80 FPS on Very High settings. I also get 80 FPS in GTA 5 when my gpu usage is at 99% but it drops again and again which makes the game unplayable. I have recorded a video of GTA 5 game play and the stress test. Please tell me how to share it here so that you can understand better.
have you figured anything out I'm having a similar issue and I can't pinpoint a problem?

Mar 11, 2020
have you figured anything out I'm having a similar issue and I can't pinpoint a problem?
In my case, it was the motherboard. The PCI slot of my motherboard was limited to 35w of power and my GPU requires atleast 75w at full load. So, the motherboard was not giving enough power to the GPU thats why the usage was dropping again and again. In your case it can also be the PSU which might be giving less power to the GPU. Can you tell me which GPU, PSU and Motherboard do you have?

LapizTheRelic

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
In my case, it was the motherboard. The PCI slot of my motherboard was limited to 35w of power and my GPU requires atleast 75w at full load. So, the motherboard was not giving enough power to the GPU thats why the usage was dropping again and again. In your case it can also be the PSU which might be giving less power to the GPU. Can you tell me which GPU, PSU and Motherboard do you have?
my gpu is a 1660 super and my psu is a corsair 720w motherboard is a asus prime b450m I had a problem with my old psu and gpu which I replaced so so what are the odds Id get two bad psus my pc worked find but now the usages just keeps dropping after doing testing I think its the gpu but Im not 100% sure yet but if it is what would cause it to go bad I havent even had this pc for 6 months yet this is my first pc and its been a pain in my ass Ive had so many probelms with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS