Question My home use 890va inverter battery ups. This is enough my pc? How can i choose my pc ups? Please suggest

Nov 29, 2023
Hi guys.
Iam looking for ups. Psu 850w gold, ram 16gb 6000mhz, dell S2722QC 4k, gpu rtx3080ti and ryzen 7900x.
How can I choose my build.
I want to just shutdown based ups.
Which is the best online ups or line interactive.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys.
Iam looking for ups. Psu 850w gold, ram 16gb 6000mhz, dell S2722QC 4k, gpu rtx3080ti and ryzen 7900x.
How can I choose my build.
I want to just shutdown based ups.
Which is the best online ups or line interactive.
An "on line" UPS is a double conversion UPS. It generates the AC from DC all the time. It has constant output. I use "on line" UPS for my network and PC hardware. IMO they are superior. But they are usually more expensive. But you can find them used. Buy without batteries and put new batteries in. Be prepared to replace batteries every 3 to 5 years.
If the UPS it really just to shutdown your PC, then you want a USB connection from the UPS to the PC to signal to shutdown automatically.
To size a UPS, you need to measure the wattage load. Then use the charts provided by the UPS manufacturers to determine runtime.

Nov 29, 2023
An "on line" UPS is a double conversion UPS. It generates the AC from DC all the time. It has constant output. I use "on line" UPS for my network and PC hardware. IMO they are superior. But they are usually more expensive. But you can find them used. Buy without batteries and put new batteries in. Be prepared to replace batteries every 3 to 5 years.
If the UPS it really just to shutdown your PC, then you want a USB connection from the UPS to the PC to signal to shutdown automatically.
To size a UPS, you need to measure the wattage load. Then use the charts provided by the UPS manufacturers to determine runtime.
Thanks for your suggestion .
But one more my house inbuild 890va is this enough? My pc?

"VA" numbers are more marketing deception. Although they are similar to watts they are calculated different and for UPS the VA number tends to be bigger than the watt number.....so you know which ones the marketing guys use.

Look the number of watts up for UPS. Also be aware that your PC does not actually use the full 850 watts your power supply is rated for. Does your current UPS show how many watts you draw. You can get a device called a killawatt but that is brand name there are many generic ones that work well. Amount other things they tell you the amount of power a device is taking.

My guess is you will be fine just check to be sure some UPS have very different watt and va numbers.

The other key thing to look up is what type of batteries are used. You will eventually have to replace them but it is more to see how much actual power the UPS has. This tend to be better than look at run time charts where again marketing guys are involved. You add the AH rating of the batteries and then multiply that number by 12 volts. This should give you a "watt" rating. It will be very low because that is how many watt you can draw and have the battery last a full hour. You can get good estimates if you say double the watts you now can only run 30 minutes. It of course is not that simple but a UPS that has 9ah battery will last longer than one that has a 7ah battery.

Nov 29, 2023
"VA" numbers are more marketing deception. Although they are similar to watts they are calculated different and for UPS the VA number tends to be bigger than the watt number.....so you know which ones the marketing guys use.

Look the number of watts up for UPS. Also be aware that your PC does not actually use the full 850 watts your power supply is rated for. Does your current UPS show how many watts you draw. You can get a device called a killawatt but that is brand name there are many generic ones that work well. Amount other things they tell you the amount of power a device is taking.

My guess is you will be fine just check to be sure some UPS have very different watt and va numbers.

The other key thing to look up is what type of batteries are used. You will eventually have to replace them but it is more to see how much actual power the UPS has. This tend to be better than look at run time charts where again marketing guys are involved. You add the AH rating of the batteries and then multiply that number by 12 volts. This should give you a "watt" rating. It will be very low because that is how many watt you can draw and have the battery last a full hour. You can get good estimates if you say double the watts you now can only run 30 minutes. It of course is not that simple but a UPS that has 9ah battery will last longer than one that has a 7ah battery.