Question My laptop is throttling after 5 minutes of gaming ?

Feb 20, 2023
hey guys, first of all sorry for my bad English,

so whenever i play games, everything seems fine for the first couple of minutes, 60 fps, great graphic and all of em, you said it, but then when after 5 minutes, it drop into 30fps or even below, and when i check my cpu speed, its down to 0,79 ghz, and the gpu utilization drop to 1 % (playing WRC 10). i've been dealing with this for couple of months, so i know more or less what is the cause for this anomaly, its because my cpu and gpu runs to hot and hit the BD PROCHOT mark.

i've been trying to fix this issue by changing the thermal paste, close every single background app i can close, but its still the same, and when i talk about game, its all of em, like i used to be able play valorant and csgo easily on 100 fps mark, but now i can barely keep it on 30 in valorant, and more or less 40 on csgo, does anyone know how to fix this issue,

my laptop :
Lenovo ideapad L340 15irh
Intel Core i5-9300HF 2.40GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 3gb
run on 16gb of ram 2400Mhz

You can try undervolting the cpu and reducing the the boost speed using a program called ThrottleStop. I suggest Googling guides how to do this.

Do you use the laptop on a flat surface/table? I also found putting taller rubber feet on the laptop can help as it allows more air under the laptop.

Feb 20, 2023
You can try undervolting the cpu and reducing the the boost speed using a program called ThrottleStop. I suggest Googling guides how to do this.

Do you use the laptop on a flat surface/table? I also found putting taller rubber feet on the laptop can help as it allows more air under the laptop.
i use my laptop on top of a tray that i used on a monitor mount, it has some holes on it for air circulation, but i also doubt that its enough, and also do you have any suggestion about how i should use my throttle stop? cuz i've only been using it to monitor the gpu and cpu performance

i use my laptop on top of a tray that i used on a monitor mount, it has some holes on it for air circulation, but i also doubt that its enough, and also do you have any suggestion about how i should use my throttle stop? cuz i've only been using it to monitor the gpu and cpu performance

There are lots of guides/videos online for using ThrottleStop to improve laptop cpu temperatures. They are much better than what I can write here. I am not an expert on ThrottleStop but I do use it on my own laptop.