[SOLVED] My laptop isn't turning off. Is my hard drive the culprit?

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
I know it sounds like a stupid question, but there are infrequent occasions when my computer turn off after the Windows system turns off. The system shuts down, but the power is still on (especially the button and fans- I have a gaming laptop). I conjectured that my hard drive is the culprit, because, it can respond to operations slowly at times. From what I've learned online, there are a lot of other causes, such as programs refusing to close and stuff. If this happens frequently, I can take it to the repairs, but it's happening occasionally so the repairmen can get frustrated. I'm thinking about changing my hard drive into a SATA SSD. Faster boot time and faster processing time would be the result, preventing shutdown issues. And, I don't have to press the power button for a long time too much- might damage the computer.

It's not a big issue, but I'm kinda curious on how changing the hard drive to SSD and reinstalling Windows would turn out.

Specifications:
LG gaming laptop (Korean version)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
CPU: Intel Core i7-8750H
RAM: 16GB
SSD: Samsung MZVLB256HAHQ-0000 223GB (M.2 NVMe)
HDD: Toshiba MQ04ABF 100 1TB (SATA Hard Drive- I'm considering changing to SATA SSD)

Last edited:
Solution
Might be worthwhile to check your power options and such as "choose what happens when" in relation to (for instance) shutting the lid or hitting the power button. Might even be something within the advanced power options got changed inadvertantly.
When the computer is in this state, will it turn back on if you hit a button, space bar, etc.? Or does it remain unresponsive until you hit and hold the power button?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Use a known good and virus free computer to download and create the USB from Microsoft for 10. You must install the same version you have now (Home/Pro) and the license will automatically update. If you have any installed programs you will need the key if one was required, or to reinstall and sign back in.
I suggest utilizing the advanced option under the install to wipe the drive, unless you purchase a new one.

The clean install approach is super easy. You might have to go to your manufacturers site to get some drivers for specific functionality items. Remember to manually update your GPU driver, get your chipset driver, things such as that.

Reactions: krelidas_34

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
Use a known good and virus free computer to download and create the USB from Microsoft for 10. You must install the same version you have now (Home/Pro) and the license will automatically update. If you have any installed programs you will need the key if one was required, or to reinstall and sign back in.
I suggest utilizing the advanced option under the install to wipe the drive, unless you purchase a new one.

The clean install approach is super easy. You might have to go to your manufacturers site to get some drivers for specific functionality items. Remember to manually update your GPU driver, get your chipset driver, things such as that.

Thank you for the advice. I'll put into good use!

But is the hard drive the culprit of the computer not shutting down completely? My question sounds stupid, but I wish to know.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Might be worthwhile to check your power options and such as "choose what happens when" in relation to (for instance) shutting the lid or hitting the power button. Might even be something within the advanced power options got changed inadvertantly.
When the computer is in this state, will it turn back on if you hit a button, space bar, etc.? Or does it remain unresponsive until you hit and hold the power button?

Reactions: krelidas_34
Solution

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
The computer tries turn back on with hesitancy and fails. But after the second try, it turns on normally. I think the computer is hesitant because of the minor shock that I gave the computer by pressing the power button. I'll just reformat, because there are some programs I installed that prevents it from shutting down. Like I said, it's not common. Almost all of the time, the computer shuts down/turns on normally.

Last edited: