Reputable
Mar 9, 2020
Hi, my friend recently upgraded his computer his specs are as follows:
- I7-14700k
- MSI Z790 Pro WiFi DDR4
- Vengeance 16gb ram x2 3600mhz
- Power supply Corsair 750 E-gold
- 1 TB NVME SSD

Since his MOBO does not support his CPU right out of the box, he tried to flash the BIOS with a new update. After 8 hours of trying and retrying, he could not get the BIOS to update. The red light on the MOBO flashes momentarily and then stays on. He waited about 10 minutes and still nothing (the light is supposed to turn off when finished). There is no display on his monitor at all. In the official documentation, it states that a user should plug in only the CPU and ATX (Not needing the CPU or RAM to be plugged in either) power cables and then proceed with the BIOS update, this still did not work. I suspected that he could have installed the wrong BIOS update on his flash drive as there is a DDR4 and DDR5 version, and to no one's surprise, the issue still wasn't resolved. His flash drive is formatted correctly to FAT322 as well. I have exhaustingly helped him, racked my brain for any issues and I've come to the conclusion that either the MOBO or CPU was damaged during shipping. Maybe it wasn't and we are just doing something incorrect but I'm here now asking for your help. Ask me any questions, and I will try to get to them in a timely manner. Thank you.

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Are you sure the BIOS file was extracted before putting it in the USB?
Did you connect it to the correct flashback port?

If the LED is flashing only momentarily, the BIOS hasn't been updated. Something is wrong.
Try removing the CMOS battery and waiting for 20 secs, and put it back. You should now be good to go. Retry the BIOS update again.

If all fails, take it to a repair shop where they have a supported CPU for you to momentarily borrow, and proceed with the update.

I had the same issue on an Asus board, move the GPU to a lower socket and you should get video output.

The top pci-e slot and the top M.2 are controlled by the CPU and wont work till you have the correct bios installed for the CPU.

I racked my brain for a day, computer would boot with the 14700k installed but could not get video out of the top PCI-e slot and would not recognize the M.2 in the top slot. Once i updated the bios BOOM the top PCI-e and M.2 started working.

Reactions: zinkles