Question My motherboard cpu light flashes red and instantly shuts down whenever I press the power button?

Apr 13, 2019
I just finished building my new water cooled pc (first time doing that, but experianced with PC building) and the moment I press the power button to try getting in the bios and perform an install, it shuts down. At the same time the cpu light on the motherboard flashes red instantly (just once). Nothing displays on the monitor and can't start any form of system installation. Any help would be much appretiated.

Specs...
Case: Corsair carbide spec-omega RGB
Motherboard: Asus rog strix z370-e
CPU: Intel i7-8700k
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
GPU: nvidia gtx 1050ti
Hard drives: samsung 970 evo m.2
samsung 860 evo SSD
Ram: 2x8gb Corsair vengance pro RGB 3200mhz
Extras: Corsair lighting node and comander

Apr 13, 2019
pump works fine when the 8 pin is not connected but nothing when it is. the pc turns on and stays on when the 8 pin isn't connected but can't get a boot screen or anything. i'm really confused with this issue :/

Try connecting a case fan to the CPU fan header. If still the same, I suggest testing with a different CPU cooler, if possible. If there is a backplate, check to not short the board.

The 8 pin has to be connected, otherwise the CPU does not get power.

Apr 13, 2019
Just tried that, it still just does the same thing. unfortunatly i don't have the money at the moment to go buy spare tester parts. how would i know if the backplate would short out the motherboard?

I figured as much just wasn't sure :p

Apr 13, 2019
unfortunatly my old one doesn't fit. i think i will buy a cheap one just to test it. thank you for your help so far and if i'm still having issues i hope you can help me again at the time.

Have a good day/night :)