[SOLVED] My motherboard does not appear to have a TPM module socket

MannyL

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
In preparation for Windows 11 I checked my main desktop computer for a TPM module. I don't have one. I also don't see that there is a socket for on either. This is the motherboard I have.
ASUS
P8Z68-V GEN3
Intel Core i7 2600K
Socket 1155 LGA

Is it possible to add one?

Solution
In preparation for Windows 11 I checked my main desktop computer for a TPM module. I don't have one. I also don't see that there is a socket for on either. This is the motherboard I have.
ASUS
P8Z68-V GEN3
Intel Core i7 2600K
Socket 1155 LGA

No, and your CPU is not supported by the current W11 requirements.
But W10 will be supported for over 4 more years, while from a practical standpoint W11 is primarily a theme pack.

Read the sticky threads in the Windows 11 forum, like THIS ONE.

RealBeast

Titan
ASUS
P8Z68-V GEN3
Intel Core i7 2600K
Socket 1155 LGA

No, and your CPU is not supported by the current W11 requirements.
But W10 will be supported for over 4 more years, while from a practical standpoint W11 is primarily a theme pack.

Read the sticky threads in the Windows 11 forum, like THIS ONE.

Solution
ASUS
P8Z68-V GEN3
Intel Core i7 2600K
Socket 1155 LGA

Your system will doubtless fall short on more than just TPM 2.0 compliance.

Some things Microsoft is reportedly re-evaluating (like CPU support and maybe even TPM version) but others you have to think will be hard NO's since the whole purpose of this OS release seems to be a way to push people to higher security levels. TPM's of any version aside I'm going to say it's a pretty sure bet MS will not relent on needing UEFI BIOS with CSM disabled and secure boot enabled, for instance. If your circa 2012 motherboard doesn't allow for that just give up on it until you upgrade.

Without the enhanced security posture MS is pushing everyone to with Secure Boot and required use of a TPM so the OS can encrypt and envault certificates, keys and passwords I'd agree with @RealBeast this looks to be little more than a theme pack update to the user interface. (And not a very good one at that...why does MS have to go copy Apple?) But at least Win10 is going to receive full support for several more years so you have that to look forward to.

Last edited: