Question My motherboard has a 4 pin led strip connector but rgb fans I want to install require a 3-pin. What should I do?

Feb 20, 2018
The mobo I have is the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon. All RGB fans require a 3-pin but I do not believe it has any. What was included with the motherboard was a RGB extension that allows me to split two RGB LED Strips, both having 4-pin connectors. Please let me know what I have to do. Thank you.

Non-addressable RGBs, the whole strip/array of RGB LEDs displays one colour at any time. This colour can transition, shift, breath/pulse, etc, across the entire RGB LED colour spectrum - and Mystic light provides a variety of snazzy themes/effects - but every RGB LED is always exactly the same colour as all its neighbours at any given instant, the whole strip is "all or nothing".

Addressable RGBs, each RGB LED (or segment/block of RGB LEDs) can display a different colour and intensity than its neighbours. Some could be lit in one colour or lit in another or more intense or less intense while others are simultaneously displaying something else. Everything that non-addressable RGB does but more fancy animation/striping/chasing effects are possible. Higher cost and complexity.

The MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon has 1x 4-pin RGB LED strip connector. That is for Non-addressable RGB lighting. An RGB header is only for lighting, The header has literally nothing to do with fans, and does not have the appropriate pinout to run them. You'd still have to plug the fan part into a fan header.

Feb 20, 2018
Non-addressable RGBs, the whole strip/array of RGB LEDs displays one colour at any time. This colour can transition, shift, breath/pulse, etc, across the entire RGB LED colour spectrum - and Mystic light provides a variety of snazzy themes/effects - but every RGB LED is always exactly the same colour as all its neighbours at any given instant, the whole strip is "all or nothing".

Addressable RGBs, each RGB LED (or segment/block of RGB LEDs) can display a different colour and intensity than its neighbours. Some could be lit in one colour or lit in another or more intense or less intense while others are simultaneously displaying something else. Everything that non-addressable RGB does but more fancy animation/striping/chasing effects are possible. Higher cost and complexity.

The MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon has 1x 4-pin RGB LED strip connector. That is for Non-addressable RGB lighting. An RGB header is only for lighting, The header has literally nothing to do with fans, and does not have the appropriate pinout to run them. You'd still have to plug the fan part into a fan header.
Okay thanks for letting me know about that. So is there any work around that can allow me to have rgb fans working as they should despite not having an rgb header?

Mind you, I do LED lighting, just not with computers, so take my recommendations cautiously. I'm trying to find a 12V RGB to 5V addressable transitional hub, and thought that I saw one, recently, but can't seem to find it now.

This actually might be a good time to take one of your fans into a local shop, along with your MB manual, and see what they offer you as a solution. At least you could confirm that it works with your specific fans.

Feb 20, 2018
Mind you, I do LED lighting, just not with computers, so take my recommendations cautiously. I'm trying to find a 12V RGB to 5V addressable transitional hub, and thought that I saw one, recently, but can't seem to find it now.

This actually might be a good time to take one of your fans into a local shop, along with your MB manual, and see what they offer you as a solution. At least you could confirm that it works with your specific fans.
Yeah I need to find a 12V to 5V adapter as I do not have the 3 pin rgb headers. Thanks so much for informing me of what kind of things I need to look for.

Feb 20, 2018

I believe I have found what I’ve been looking for. Thank you.
RGB Convertor, 5V ADD-RGB to 12V RGB Transfer Hub, Motherboard with 12V 4-pin Header can Contorl 5V ADD-RGB Products https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QPYSC82/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BfKgDbSRAWVPA

TRENDING THREADS