Question My Motherboards name was changed from ( B450M DS3H) to (x470 Aorus ultra gaming)

Aug 4, 2022
As the Thread title says, my motherboards name has changed from B450M DS3H to x470 Aorus ultra gaming after flashing my bios with a file my friend sent me.

I am 100% sure that my motherboard is b450m ds3h, since i have ordered it from amazon from official shop and on the box it says b450m ds3h too.
Now that i want to flash my bios with b450m ds3h's latest bios file, i can't, because the bios name is x470 aorus ultra gaming, and when i try to flash it my PC thinks, "oh this is b450m ds3hs bios file and u have x470 aorus ultra gaming according to ur bios name, so we wont flash it sorry!"
is there any way i can change the bios name manually or something?
im on gigabyte

Aug 4, 2022
unknown.png

USAFRet

Titan
As the Thread title says, my motherboards name has changed from B450M DS3H to x470 Aorus ultra gaming after flashing my bios with a file my friend sent me.

I am 100% sure that my motherboard is b450m ds3h, since i have ordered it from amazon from official shop and on the box it says b450m ds3h too.
Now that i want to flash my bios with b450m ds3h's latest bios file, i can't, because the bios name is x470 aorus ultra gaming, and when i try to flash it my PC thinks, "oh this is b450m ds3hs bios file and u have x470 aorus ultra gaming according to ur bios name, so we wont flash it sorry!"
is there any way i can change the bios name manually or something?
im on gigabyte
Bit confused here.

Was this original flashing successful?

How exactly did you flash it?

What flash utility did you use?

And where did your 'friend' get this file he sent you. Friends don't send friends hacked BIOS files without telling 'em all about it.

Just sayin'.

Agree to the above. How on earth did you manage to update bios while having another model?

Did you update from windows internet or bios itself?
Or use a UEFI command line installation utility on a self-booting USB stick.

I've run one myself to force-install an older BIOS on my B450m Mortar when MSI didn't want us to go back to pre-Ryzen 3000. It was furnished me by MSI support but I went through the script line-by-line first and parsed the command line switches to understand just what it was doing.

You could easily do the same to force-install another board's BIOS since the command line used told the flasher to ignore all validity checking: just do it. It's dangerous, but doable.

Reactions: ilias4681
Aug 4, 2022
Agree to the above. How on earth did you manage to update bios while having another model?

Did you update from windows internet or bios itself?
well the thing is, i think itwas b450m ds3hs bios file, just the name was edited in the bios file manually, it wasnt another motherboards bios file, it was my motherboards, just name changed

Aug 4, 2022
Or use a UEFI command line installation utility on a self-booting USB stick.

I've run one myself to force-install an older BIOS on my B450m Mortar when MSI didn't want us to go back to pre-Ryzen 3000. It was furnished me by MSI support but I went through the script line-by-line first and parsed the command line switches to understand just what it was doing.

You could easily do the same to force-install another board's BIOS since the command line used told the flasher to ignore all validity checking: just do it. It's dangerous, but doable.
Could you help me more with this? whats UEFI command line installation utility

Aug 4, 2022
Bit confused here.

Was this original flashing successful?
Yes, i put bios file on my usb, i booted into my usb, and once it was on 100% it restarted my pc succesfully, but the problem is in that bios file the name was manually edited, so now i can't update my bios since i dont know how to change the name "X470 aorus ultra gaming" to "b450m Ds3h"

Aug 4, 2022
How exactly did you flash it?

What flash utility did you use?

And where did your 'friend' get this file he sent you. Friends don't send friends hacked BIOS files without telling 'em all about it.

Just sayin'.
My friend sent me autoexec.bat file, bios file, and i put it on my usb fat32, and just booted into it and it worked fine.

it wasn't "hacked bios file" the name was manually edited, but the bios itself is my motherboards

My friend sent me autoexec.bat file, bios file, and i put it on my usb fat32, and just booted into it and it worked fine.

it wasn't "hacked bios file" the name was manually edited, but the bios itself is my motherboards
Well...the term 'hacking' is kind of relative and not all hacking is bad. Using a command-line utility to force-install a BIOS file while ignoring validity checks is, in my opinion, a "hacking" strategy even if the BIOS file itself wasn't hacked.

Also, it's not uncommon for people to hack a bios to change DMI information: that's the information that's used to identify a computer and it's parts, like motherboard. It's used by system mfr's to identify their systems for warranty and other purposes...like to use for validity checking before updating a BIOS. But it's just a a guess that he did that at this point.

You will have to hack that USB stick drive to figure out how he did what he did. You quite likely could simply change the name of your desired BIOS binary file to the same name of the BIOS binary file currently on that stick drive then copy it to the drive, over-writing the one that's there. Plug it in and boot to it, let run it again and it will update it to what you want.

But I have no way of knowing if that will work or just brick your computer. And neither do you if you don't take the autoexec.bat file apart and study what it does first. If that's beyond your skills and you don't want to acquire them then you best get back to your friend and ask him to give you a new stick drive with the BIOS file you want to update on it.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022
Well...the term 'hacking' is kind of relative and not all hacking is bad. Using a command-line utility to force-install a BIOS file while ignoring validity checks is, in my opinion, a "hacking" strategy even if the BIOS file itself wasn't hacked.

Also, it's not uncommon for people to hack a bios to change DMI information: that's the information that's used to identify a computer and it's parts, like motherboard. It's used by system mfr's to identify their systems for warranty and other purposes...like to use for validity checking before updating a BIOS. But it's just a a guess that he did that at this point.

You will have to hack that USB stick drive to figure out how he did what he did. You quite likely could simply change the name of your desired BIOS binary file to the same name of the BIOS binary file currently on that stick drive then copy it to the drive, over-writing the one that's there. Plug it in and boot to it, let run it again and it will update it to what you want.

But I have no way of knowing if that will work or just brick your computer. And neither do you if you don't take the autoexec.bat file apart and study what it does first. If that's beyond your skills and you don't want to acquire them then you best get back to your friend and ask him to give you a new stick drive with the BIOS file you want to update on it.
unknown.png
Is it possible to edit a bios file manually with a tool like "HXD" and change the name of actual motherboard so when you flash it your motherboards name is changed? like in the picture?

Is it possible to edit a bios file manually with a tool like "HXD" and change the name of actual motherboard so when you flash it your motherboards name is changed? like in the picture?
I don't know the tool used, that could certainly be one. A hex editor, though, would be bulky and cumbersome...you'd need to know the correct offsets to find strings...just generally hard. A true hacker's way to do it though.

A better tool for editing DMI data is probably one of the ones provided by AMI for the purpose:

https://f.hubspotusercontent10.net/..._Utilities/Aptio_Utilities_Data_Sheet_PUB.pdf

Last edited: