[SOLVED] My PC crashes randomly with 2 black screens and a green screen, any help?

Apr 22, 2021
To start this off, I have 2 monitors and a TV above putting me at 3 displays. Maybe this information can be useful but whenever my PC crashes at ANYTIME, (it can be just browsing twitter or on steam workshop/Discord) both of my monitors go black, and the top TV display goes green then my all my displays turn off after a second or two.

The audio does not keep playing, the PC basically loses all video and audio, but it stays on as all my peripherals and interior lighting (fans/cpu aio/gpu/ram) stay on.

There is a light that turns on, on my motherboard. Its like an orange/amber light that blinks every second. I did look this up and it is said to be a Memory/RAM problem.
I said okay, then maybe I just have to reseat my memory and it'll be fixed. I tried, and no dice. Still crashed with the same process of black/green screens, then locking until i hold down the power button or hitting the reset button.

I thought to myself, okay I recently added an extra 2 sticks of RAM to my system so maybe 1 of them is faulty. I removed 2 sticks and continued as normal, still crashed. I figured one of those two were faulty so i removed them, and replaced them with the other 2 i had taken out initially and it still crashed.

Now I'm starting to wonder if it even is a memory problem or its one of the slots that is just messed up and not reading the memory correctly. I've had this problem persisting for nearly a year now and I can't tell you how frustrating it is to not be able to figure this one out unless I buy a whole new motherboard and test it with that which is what I believe could potentially give me answers but I just wouldn't want to waste the cash and time.

I've also tried checking the Event Viewer to see if I can get some extra information but all it tells me is that there was an "Unexpected PC shutdown".

The Internet from other problems, have said that if you even have 1 green screen, it could be a graphical problem dealing with the GPU. I had only bought this last year but I wonder if its already being weird.

System setup goes as follows.

Ryzen 7 2700x
RX 5700 XT Powercolor Red Devil
32GBs of Corsair Vengeance RBG Pro
Asus ROG strix B450-F
EVGA Supernova 750w G3 PSU
WD Black 1TB M.2 SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD
Windows 10

Solution
Boot from a Mmemtest86 USB and test all the RAM. Go through at least one pass.
Load up Prime95 and run a blended stress test, with all AVX options off, for at least 20 mins.
The 'green screen' crash tells me that you may be running a pre-release or preview version of Windows 10.
If this is the case I would go back to a full release version to see if your issue goes away.

A friend of mine works for Microsoft and had a disasterous time with a recent fast track pre-release version of Windows 10. She suffered with it for a few months before her Surface laptop became practically unusable. She had to get support to blow away the OS and rebuild the laptop. :ROFLMAO:

Apr 22, 2021
The 'green screen' crash tells me that you may be running a pre-release or preview version of Windows 10.
If this is the case I would go back to a full release version to see if your issue goes away.

A friend of mine works for Microsoft and had a disasterous time with a recent fast track pre-release version of Windows 10. She suffered with it for a few months before her Surface laptop became practically unusable. She had to get support to blow away the OS and rebuild the laptop. :ROFLMAO:
Just googled and checked how I would go about doing that, and I do believe from what I'm being shown that I'm not on a pre-release or preview version of Windows 10.
No watermark and on the latest version/full release of Windows.
but jeez I would have laughed at myself if the reason my PC was crashing so much was because of the OS lol.

Okay. Sometimes the screens will go green just from the crash but I wanted to make sure anyway.

Open up an admin console and run a chkdsk /r
When that's done run a sfc /scannow
When that's done check all your drives with the latest manufacturer drive tools

Apr 22, 2021
Okay. Sometimes the screens will go green just from the crash but I wanted to make sure anyway.

Open up an admin console and run a chkdsk /r
When that's done run a sfc /scannow
When that's done check all your drives with the latest manufacturer drive tools
Alright, just finished with all 3 of those and no errors found on either of my 2 drives. Checked up with their manufacturer drive tools and everything seems to be in tip top shape. Nothing out of the ordinary.

TRENDING THREADS