Question my pc don't recognize all the ram i put it on

Feb 21, 2021
Hi, i have a problem; i have 2x4gb of ram but windows, i'm running on the latest version (20h2), doesn't recognize half of the memory. I tried to see in the bios but it recognize all the memory;
so is possible to fix that?

Hardware specifications for all hardware? Please include model numbers for CPU, motherboard, memory kit, etc.

WHICH slots are the memory installed in? Starting with the slot closest to the CPU as 1, and the slot closest to the edge of the motherboard as 4?

What BIT VERSION, 32 or 64 bit, are you running?

What VERSION of Windows are you running?

That is what happen when you install the 32 bit version of Windows. You need to install 64 bit

You're very quick to jump to a conclusion. Your OS not seeing half your RAM doesn't only mean you're using a 32 bit OS.

It could be the RAM slots, BIOS version, Corrupted OS, Msconfig RAM option not set correctly, faulty RAM, CPU or CPU socket bent pin, RAM in the wrong slots.

If the OP says he has a 32 bit OS then ok but I don't see that in his post yet.

You need to understand that people will listen to you here and if you go and you jump to a conclusion like that it could really hurt the OP. Next time ask your question and wait for the OP answer before having a conclusion like that.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
You're very quick to jump to a conclusion. Your OS not seeing half your RAM doesn't only mean you're using a 32 bit OS.

It could be the RAM slots, BIOS version, Corrupted OS, Msconfig RAM option not set correctly, faulty RAM, CPU or CPU socket bent pin, RAM in the wrong slots.

If the OP says he has a 32 bit OS then ok but I don't see that in his post yet.

You need to understand that people will listen to you here and if you go and you jump to a conclusion like that it could really hurt the OP. Next time ask your question and wait for the OP answer before having a conclusion like that.
Dude he already said that BIOS is detecting all RAM, so it is clearly a 32 bit version

Dude he already said that BIOS is detecting all RAM, so it is clearly a 32 bit version

Nope. BIOS detecting the RAM and the OS that sees half of the RAM doesn't mean the OP has a 32 bit OS.

Other people will tell you too. You can vote me down all you want. I'm not wrong.

Having a 32 bit OS is only one of many reasons where that could happen. If you deny that it just means maybe you shouldn't be here helping people.

Feb 21, 2021
Hardware specifications for all hardware? Please include model numbers for CPU, motherboard, memory kit, etc.

WHICH slots are the memory installed in? Starting with the slot closest to the CPU as 1, and the slot closest to the edge of the motherboard as 4?

What BIT VERSION, 32 or 64 bit, are you running?

What VERSION of Windows are you running?
I'm currently running on a 64 bit version of windows 20h2.
pc specs:
CPU: intel i7 860 2.80Ghz
Motherboard: Asrock h55m-le
GPU Cerberus 1050 ti
RAM 2x4gb 1333Mhz
power supply corsair cx500

The motherboard have 2 slots and they are all in use.

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I'm currently running on a 64 bit version of windows 20h2.
pc specs:
CPU: intel i7 860 2.80Ghz
Motherboard: Asrock h55m-le
GPU Cerberus 1050 ti
RAM 2x4gb 1333Mhz
power supply corsair cx500

The motherboard have 2 slots and they are all in use.
Does it show the other 4gb as "hardware reserved" in task manager in the lower right under Performance>Memory?

Are both DIMMs from the same kit, as in, they came TOGETHER, packaged in the same box, or were these memory modules purchased as individual/separate memory modules that were not selected to be used together at the factory and validated as compatible with each other?

Can you post a screenshot of the "system" settings main page OR a screenshot of the msinfo.32 system info main page, that shows the Windows version AND the bit depth?

Feb 21, 2021
Are both DIMMs from the same kit, as in, they came TOGETHER, packaged in the same box, or were these memory modules purchased as individual/separate memory modules that were not selected to be used together at the factory and validated as compatible with each other?

Can you post a screenshot of the "system" settings main page OR a screenshot of the msinfo.32 system info main page, that shows the Windows version AND the bit depth?
no, they aren't from the same kit, but for a year, the pc, showed 8gb of ram.

So, I think it might be worth considering doing a clean install instead.

The problem with the "restore" image on laptops and prebuilt OEM systems, is that when you use THAT, you also put all of the preinstalled bloatware back on there as well. We've seen such high numbers of cases where brand new systems could barely hold their own necks up due to the weight of all the bloatware that they ran as though they were terribly infected with malware when they actually only had piles of useless "optimization" and other bundled software installed.

Updating Windows through Windows update, to newer build versions of Windows is fine in most cases, so long as everything is working properly, but if there is a problem that already exists then there is a good chance it will still exist after the upgrade, making that pointless, and in some cases like yours there ends up being a problem after the upgrade that didn't exist before, making that pointless (After the fact).

I ALWAYS recommend doing a clean install whenever there's a question of which way to go. That includes every time Microsoft releases a major update. Microsoft does not have a very good track record of making transitions between upgrades or major updates terribly smooth, seamless or trouble free. Usually, more often than not, problems are created that did not exist before the update or upgrade. Not in every case to be sure, but often enough to warrant avoiding the process when it is at all possible or at the very least, every other major update/upgrade.

Continuing to simply upgrade/update or reinstall the factory bloatware often just continues to put the same problems that existed from the start, right back where you left them prior to the process. I would never allow one of my machines, or any machine I work on, to go longer than two major updates without doing a clean install to the newest available Windows ISO release, and usually, unless there are circumstances that make it terribly inconvenient to do so, every major update.

If you wish to DO a clean install, you can do so as follows. This is totally up to each person to determine if that is the best course of action for them or not. In some few cases, there are very good reasons such as having software installed that cannot easily be reinstalled or a really terrible internet connection that makes it difficult to download the installers. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

The Pro and Enterprise versions DO have better administration tools, and that is the ONLY reason to go with those versions IMO.

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
No. Never heard of this. Not in 35+ years of working with, and on, computers. Memory does not "crawl" or do any kind of moving unless a person causes it to happen. Sorry, but that's just not something that occurs in this timeline.

chip creep is not super common, I experienced it myself though; I had a stick unclick only halfway and resulted in hardware reserved. Went through changing the maximum memory, registry edit etc. Went to reseat after it was suggested in a memory trouble shooting video, and found the top half out. The ram took weeks before it worked its way out. I can reference other citations if you want, however unlikely; your personal experience probably would dictate what isn't likely to occur, perhaps since it has not been recently installed.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/ram-loose-in-ram-slot.176809/#post-2795412

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...reserved-memory-solved.3288793/#post-20134315

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...e-the-pc-boot-but-crash.1018833/#post-8274460

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
chip creep is not super common, I experienced it myself though; I had a stick unclick only halfway and resulted in hardware reserved. Went through changing the maximum memory, registry edit etc. Went to reseat after it was suggested in a memory trouble shooting video, and found the top half out. The ram took weeks before it worked its way out. I can reference other citations if you want, however unlikely; your personal experience probably would dictate what isn't likely to occur, perhaps since it has not been recently installed.

Then you never pushed it in fully when you installed it. If ram is fully inserted and clipped in it is impossible for this to happen. Those clips were made to solve this problem.

This person literally said he didn't close the clips all the way.

This person didn't say whether they had just built the system or not, and its also possible its been like that for a long time since he had built it and he never noticed.

This person had just rebuilt the system and didn't insert the ram fully when doing so.

Then you never pushed it in fully when you installed it. If ram is fully inserted and clipped in it is impossible for this to happen. Those clips were made to solve this problem.

This person literally said he didn't close the clips all the way.

This person didn't say whether they had just built the system or not, and its also possible its been like that for a long time since he had built it and he never noticed.

This person had just rebuilt the system and didn't insert the ram fully when doing so.
This. End of story.

TRENDING THREADS